Saturday, August 22, 2009

Daisy's characters

Daisy has been making up some funny names lately and I just wanted to record a few of them. She has this metal thermos with monster faces on it, and one day she went through all of them and named them. I can't remember all of the names, but three of them were: Pommon, Captain Bemmer, and Captain Clapp. About 3 weeks went by, and I asked her about the monsters' names-- and she remembered them. I could hardly believe it. She corrected me because I said "Captain Crab?" No, she said-- Captain Clapp and Captain Bemmer! Mark says they all sound like minor characters in a Melville novel, but my less high-cultural feeling is that the captains are on _Star Trek_ and Pommon is a character in a C.S. Lewis novel.
EDIT
Daisy told me her horse at the merry-go-round yesterday was "Paymon." I don't know if I recorded this elsewhere, but I know I'll want to remember that when Daisy was two-ish, she would always ask us to make her characters talk by saying, "Can he say a word?" How we came to dread that demand: Say a word! Say a word!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home