Friday, March 28, 2008

Leaps and bounds

This morning:

1) Daisy had a plan of several steps in mind and executed it. This was really a first, so I have to record it. She told me, "Put Daisy in"--pointing at the laundry basket. So I put her in. That was surprising enough. Then she kept saying, "See Daisy. See Daisy!" I couldn't understand what she meant. She was getting a bit frustrated. Then she said, "One, two, three, cheese!" And she said it again. She wanted me to take a picture of her in the basket. I was shocked--really shocked. I can't put my finger on exactly what it was--maybe the multi-step nature of the plan, or her cleverness in communicating it to me, or both--but this felt like a conceptual leap.

I went and got the camera and photographed her in the laundry basket. They aren't great pictures, but how cool is it that she figured out that that's what she wanted?

2) This, too, seems like a first. Daisy told me she wanted to play with Play Doh, and we were playing with it, when she suggested I make a dog out of the clay. I said, "Do you want me to make a dog?" She thought about it and said, "Make Lowly. Make a blue Lowly." (Lowly is the worm character in Richard Scarry's Busytown book; thank God she asked me to make something relatively easy to make.) Then she asked for another one, and said, "Two Lowlies." Then she asked me to make a GREEN Lowly.

I don't know quite why, but these new things, however small, are exciting to me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so amazing! Every time I see Daisy she has made such amazing progress. If 3 days have passed I notice startling progress. Readers may be interested to hear that Daisy, the bird watcher, told me yesterday: "Daisy loves parrots, tucans and hawks!" M.B.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Er, d'ye mean "TOUcan," Matzo Ball?
:-)
Snide Daughter

6:24 PM  
Blogger specules said...

Your daughter's really f'n smart. Watch out for her!

It's exciting to hear how smart she is because Asian people like academics (see: http://www.asian-central.com/stuffasianpeoplelike/2008/02/15/3-academics/).
So when I hear these things, I feel almost proud to be marginally affiliated with this child. :-)

11:27 PM  
Blogger specules said...

Here is that link

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home