Friday, May 16, 2008

Funny kid

1. A few days ago Daisy pointed at me and said, "This is my mama. This is my Sarah." She has been referring to me as "my Sarah" from time to time and giving more vigorous hugs-- putting her arms around my neck, squeezing, and patting my shoulder.

2. Does anyone else's toddler sometimes talk about herself in third person, as in, "Daisy wants this," or "Daisy is running"? She doesn't do it all the time, but quite often. I wonder if it's kind of odd, or just normal, since she hears us talking about her as "Daisy."

3. Daisy has committed quite a few of her favorite songs to memory and is now experimenting with making up new, fanciful verses. Basically, she takes a verse from the song which she knows well and changes some of the words. But I call that imaginative! A couple examples: she added a verse to "When the Saints Go Marching In," which goes, "When the flowers start to sniff, oh when the flowers start to sniff...." And today she added a verse to "Charlie Brown": "Why is everybody always picking on the flame-os?" (The flame-os are her favorite animals of all time, her two pink plush flamingo magnets.) She also sang "Why is everybody always picking on Daisy?" and "Why is everybody always picking on Dada?" Thus far, Mama is not in the song.

4. Daisy has been rejecting her bottle lately. I know, I know--I should have weaned her from the bottle by now anyway. But I hadn't. However, a few days ago, she started pushing it away. Tonight when Mark tried to give her her bottle, she said, "No" and "I want to lie down." We put her in the crib and sang her a song, and she went to sleep. How about that? Hope it lasts-- it's only been one night since we've been home from our trip and she's been a bit out of whack. It's funny how she gives things up abruptly--overnight, it seems. That's how it went with the pacifier, too. She loved the pacifier desperately, for the first four months of life; and then one day, at four and a half months or so, she simply stopped accepting it, and never took one again. It's a bit disconcerting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home