Monday, May 05, 2008

This made me sad

The other day we went to Golden Gate Park with our friends Marina and Lulu, and Daisy went crazy with excitement when she saw the carousel, saying, "I want to see the horsies!" She insisted that we go down to it, and was the first one pressing at the gates with anticipation to be let in for the next ride. I was happy, thinking we'd found something she'd love to do. When we got in, I put her up on a horse, and she asked to come down. Fine, I thought; I got up on the horse with her. No. She pointed at the boring bench that doesn't move and said she wanted to sit there. Well, okay. We moved there. The carousel started and she began to weep inconsolably. She cried, and screamed, through the entire ride, even though we were on the least scary part of the whole ride... a bench that wasn't moving. The whole thing just made me sad. It's fine if she doesn't like carousels, but she had been so excited.

One thing that was very cute, though: after the ride, Lulu took her by the hand and led her over to the playground! They held hands for a long time, with Lulu helping her along. That girl is going to make a great big sister.

On another subject, Daisy has started carrying on conversations all by herself. She'll say, "I want to nurse on the couch. Hokay; let's nurse on the couch." Or, even more oddly, she'll say, "I want to nurse, Daisy said"--like she is reading her thoughts in a book. Apropos of that: I have not yet successfully weaned her and I am getting nervous. It was down to once a day but lately she's been asking for it more than once, and very insistently. In a related problem, she is definitely still hooked on the bottle and I'm supposed to get her off that, too. I don't know how I'm supposed to wean her from both at the same time. Anxious....

6 Comments:

Blogger specules said...

Re: nursing, maybe you can find something she likes better than milk, like, uh, Nutella, or chocolate pudding! Like pinching someone hard to make them forget about a cut or distract from an injection. :-) Sorry, that's not very helpful...

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweetie, why are you supposed to get her off the bottle now?

Please don't expect you have to do both at once. The transition off the breast will be stressy enough.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Mark Meritt said...

I think Daisy gets her fear of moderately thrilling activities from me, her father.

I remember wanting very badly to go to Great America (it's now Six Flags Great America) when I was 10 or so. I heard all about the exciting roller coasters and such.

Some friends and I finally arranged to spend a Saturday there. I got on the least terrifying Roller Coaster (no upside downs, nothing like that), and I was immediately and irremediably terrified and vowed after the first six seconds that if I ever made it off that contraption I woud NEVER return.

I went on the flume ride twice to make up for my cowardice, but even that ride (boring to almost everyone) was too much for me. So I spent the next four and a half hours wandering the park avoiding my companions, venturing once onto one of those cars that go three miles an hour on some kind of track so that you don't have to steer.

When I graduate from eighth grade, our class's end of the year reward was a trip to Great America. Most kids looked forward to this day starting somewhere around the fourth grade (it probably was impetus for some to work hard at school so that they could eventually graduate).

I played sick that day...

9:25 PM  
Blogger Mark Meritt said...

Pardon my poor editing in the last post.

I've actually already graduated from the 8th grade (24 years ago), though belated graduation presents are still welcome.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Mita said...

"Congradulations" Mark!!

And I used my bottle til I was 4 (though I used sippy and regular cups, too--I think the bottle was just a favorite). I'm not suggesting that you wait that long ... just that I don't think there are dire consequences if you do. It was a comfort thing for me, I think. And I never had to get orthodontics as a result ...

My mom would ALWAYS share this anecdote about my childhood with people--and about how the size of the hole in that bottle was HUGE by the time I was done with it.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Maybe I don't have to be in such a rush to get her off the bottle! I hope not. There is a lot of change afoot :-) Stressful.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home