Friday, April 25, 2008

Ratting out Grandma

I know my mother has a good enough sense of humor to forgive me for this post. But I must report that on her last visit, she:

A) Gave me a memoir to read in which three young children (two babies and one toddler Daisy's age) die horribly (she claimed she had forgotten these details, which are central to the narrative);

and

B) Put on a "Babar" DVD for Daisy in which baby Babar's mother is shot and killed in the first half hour, leaving baby Babar wandering around the fallen body crying, "Mama! Mama!" Did we screen the video ahead of time? Noooo. She saw it unfold just as we did. We forwarded on to the next scene as quickly as we could, but pretty soon the elephants were having a war with the rhinoceroses--a big, bloody battle scene--and Daisy asked us to turn it off even before we could respond.

Bad Mama! Bad Gommy!

Postscript:
It's not that I absolutely refuse to read books in which children die anymore. It's just... I have to admit, hard on me to read true accounts of toddler deaths. I fully intend to finish the book, though, which is really good.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's OK. I am guilty as charged. I am putting that DVD where the sun don't shine.
On a happier note, Daisy and I had our first phone "conversation" today. She said, "Grandma" into the phone and then, with some help from her Mom and Dad, sang "When the Saints Go Marching In" into the phone for my delight! M.B.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before I had children I could quite easily read accounts about anything awful happening to anyone. Now, I can barely look at the paper or the online news (such as CNN or MSNBC) without seeing some awful headline. I finally stopped reading those (out of dreadful curiosity) when after one I creid at work all day.

So, um, you're well within the range of normal limits, Beautiful.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home