Sunday, April 27, 2008

Random Daisy-alia

I just put Daisy down awake, which just recently has been a bit of a problem. She made me sing both "Jolie Tambour," her regular bedtime song, and "When the Saints Go Marching In." I complied, but I think "Saints" is too rousing a number for a bedtime song. Come to think of it, "Jolie Tambour" is, too.

I am nervous because Mark's out so I did the routine on my own tonight and it just hasn't been a smooth ride lately. She was quiet for about five minutes but I heard her talking to herself a moment ago. Hmmm. Wonder if she'll go to sleep or if tonight's going to be a wild adventure.

Anyway. I was just going to blog that Daisy seems particularly concerned lately about memorizing my and Mark's schedules. She is confused about when we go to work, so when Mark leaves even for a moment (to throw out garbage), and it's 6:00 in the evening, she still asks, "Dada's going to work?" If he buckles her in the carseat, then disappears for a moment to walk around to the driver's side, she says, "What happened to Dada?" Then when he reappears two seconds later, "There's Dada!" with great joy.

She asked me if I was going to work today, and I said no, but she still seemed suspicious. At breakfast she said to me, "Have a good day. Miss me." This is some version of what I say when I leave to go to work (although I of course say I'll miss YOU). I had to keep insisting that I wasn't going to work. Life must seem awfully random and chaotic to a toddler, especially when you have parents with pretty irregular work schedules and comings and goings.

Other things from today: in her carseat, she suddenly shouted, "Oh my gosh, it's a poop!" (It was not, as it turned out.) The level of drama accorded this announcement was quite stunning. Daisy really puts a lot of expression into her voice, when she's reading or when she makes various announcements. I can only gather that this is what *I* sound like to her. It's often funny because, of course, she has no sense of the proper contexts in which to be awestruck and dramatic, versus what is a more mundane occurrence, warranting a milder response. So, for example, the other day she exclaimed about a flock of pigeons, "The birds are flying! Oh my God!"

She has started complimenting me on various feats. For example, the annoying plastic circular thingie fell out of the Diaper Champ, I stuck it back it in, and Daisy was right there to say, "Very good!" in a highly approving tone. This makes me aware of how often I comment on HER actions (positively). Maybe it's not such a good thing-- I wouldn't want her to feel as though her every action is evaluated, and even a positive evaluation could do that.

A BIG first today: when asked my name, she said "Sarah." Twice. She has called Mark by his name for a long time now, but always resisted when asked who I was. I was just Mama. I guess this is a little sad... not that she'll stop calling me "Mama," of course. But I have to say, it was kind of thrilling to hear her say my name.

Daisy is totally into singing. She sings by herself and she accompanies me when I sing. She wanted to sing "I'll Fly Away" with me today. It was a bit difficult as I found myself mumbling every time I came to a direct reference to death. Hmmm.

When Daisy gets upset, she sometimes cries, "I want to bite...[fill in the blank]." Now, I want to explain that she does NOT bite. She bit me once, I showed her how upset I was, and it has never happened again. But when she is upset, she tells us she WANTS to bite. It is kind of disconcerting. Today when she got slightly upset by a fall she cried, "I want to bite the cars!" (There was a busy street just outside where we were.) That is rather odd.

Daisy is very affectionate with her books and stuffed animals, and also with any random object that strikes her fancy. She likes to say, with great expression in her voice, "He is SOOOOO cute." She will also comment(about dogs, especially), "He is very lovable."

Well, that is all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home