Sunday, May 25, 2008

While listening to "On Top of Old Smokey"

...I lost my true lover for courtin' too slow...

Daisy: I can't find my lover! I can't find my lover! I can't find my lover!

blah blah blah but a falsehearted lover will send you to your grave...

Daisy: Daisy's going to the grave!

blah blah blah the grave will decay you and turn you to dust....

Daisy: Daisy makes dust!

blah blah he'll hug you and kiss you and tell you more lies...

Daisy: Daisy kissed you!

Not one boy in a hundred a poor girl can trust...

Daisy: Daisy has trust!

The whole song was like that, with her chiming in after every line. It was so funny... even if she did mention lovers and going to the grave, which was a tad disturbing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mita said...

Oh wow!

I know I'm reading way way way too far into Daisy's gloss, but I LOVE the way that she takes takes up all those different identities in the song. "I" to "you" to "the grave" to "him" to, well, I guess her very own self at the end.

Daisy's got mad agency ... and empathy. :-)

6:26 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Oh, yes! Mark pointed that out, too-- the way she put herself into the song and translated things into her own idiom. Cool (or narcissistic-- but I guess almost-2-year-olds are narcissistic by definition!)

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home