Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Daisy and her existential crises

That is what I am starting to call them. She has had a few more, and what is peculiar about them is that they come with no warning. Today, it happened twice. Both times, nothing seemed to be wrong at all. I was driving and I looked in the rearview mirror and saw her eyes welling up with tears. Then the lower lip started trembling. She said she wanted to sit in Mommy's lap, in a very calm voice--no screaming this time--and then the tears just started trickling down her face. Gommy made her feel better by mentioning marshmallow ghosts that were waiting at home. Then there was another small episode later that day, at home. Again, no warning; I just looked at her and noticed her eyes starting to fill with tears. She gave me a hug and said she wanted to go in the other room. We did, and then everything was fine.

I am thinking she is a sensitive soul and that these are some kind of existential crises. I really am! This girl is afraid of vacuum cleaners, blenders, swings, and butterflies, and she wept the first time she heard "Mio Babbino Caro." And Gommy would probably want me to add that when she was an infant, she used to cry at the part of "Over the River and through the Woods" where it says, "Oh how the wind does blow! It stings the nose and bites the toes as over the ground we go" (or something like that). She would cry, every single time, at the same part of the song--and she was only 6 months old or something. She is a delicate soul!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home