Friday, November 07, 2008

Two years, three months

Daisy was difficult today, at least in the morning. She has been pretty easy to deal with for a long time now, but today I thought I was seeing signs of some of the two-year-old behavior I've heard about, lo these many years. I wouldn't say she quite had a tantrum, but she whined loudly all morning, demanding various things I had told her she couldn't have (like lollipops and popsicles). She got her voice to make this particularly annoying, whiny sound, and it was like she was making it on purpose to antagonize me while I was getting all our stuff ready to go out for the day. It was so irritating that for the first time since I've had her, I felt like I needed to do deep, meditative breathing to keep myself from wanting to scream at her or tear my hair out. I was tired, from having stayed up late grading papers the night before (and from Daisy getting up at 6:30 that morning), and it was particularly grating that she was doing this to me while I was trying to pack all our stuff for a day of fun I had planned for HER.

This was my first time encountering this level of toddler annoyingness, and I don't think I passed the test with flying colors, but I do think I made the right decision in the end. The incessant whining/screeching made me want to tell her, "Fine! We're not going! Stay home and go to your room!" But I decided to go ahead with the day, since maybe she just didn't know how to get herself out of this whining mode, once she'd started down the path. I thought a change of scene might do us both good. And, this time at least, it worked. As soon as we were on our way to Fantastic Friday, she seemed to snap out of it and get into a new mode. And we ended up having a great day, after all (see my next entry--Daisy rode a horse at Crissy Field!). So-- I know. She's a two-year-old. I have to get used to this. What did I learn? Try your best to stay calm; do some deep breathing; and get a change of scene, if possible, to (hopefully) snap her out of it and get her going down a different behavior path.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sari -- Thank you for the kind words about Hannie and the great story of Daisy in the treehouse -- twice!

It's awkward writing here since it's not private. Hannie recently beat this computer senseless and the repairman couldn't fix my e-mail problem.

Still, it's so nice to be communicating again. What I love about the photos of Obama with the kids is that he seems never to be posing for the camera, unlike the Clintons, whose every word, gesture, expression are calculated to impress -- utter cynicism and contempt. But I shouldn't define Obama by a negative standard.

Love talking with you!

2:46 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Mita said...

Not to interrupt ... but I heard someone on the news this morning say that Daisy's generation would be referred to as "Generation O" ... which I thought was the BEST THING EVER!!!!!

Also, BT, sounds like you're handling things amazingly. Patience and good grace. Certainly you'll blow up now and again--and certainly there will be times when Daisy will remain monsterlicious. But from the outside of things, the big picture of the life you're creating with and for her seems to be pretty shiny and lovely.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Hi Baua! I totally understand... it is weird to be writing in this public forum. But I am very happy to hear your writing voice again. I wish I knew someone with brilliant mechanical abilities who could try to solve your email problems. It's so strange that it lets you read the emails but not respond. Could I look at it again, just for the heck of it, when we visit?

I agree about the photos. Usually photos of politicians with kids are so cheesy and not genuine. But these Obama ones are really different.

I am really looking forward to Thanksgiving.
Love you!
Sari

9:10 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thank you, Mita! :-) I am trying. I don't think I'm the most patient person in the world. But I want to be a good mother more than anything.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home