Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A rough night

Daisy had a very, very bad night last night. She has been sleeping well for many months now, and so I was tempted to think we had the whole sleep issue solved... although my better brain knows that things can always change with young children. Anyway: she woke up around midnight, and at first was just mumbling and whining, but eventually it became full-blown screaming and yelling. I went in, hoping to just say a few words of comfort and leave, but she began crying hysterically. I rocked her in the glider and got her back to sleep, but when I put her back in the crib, she started crying again. This really reminds me of the old days!

The rest of the night is a blur, as I am ashamed to admit Mark and Gommy Susan handled most of the rest of it. She cried and screamed on and off for hours; people went in and out trying to make it better; she begged for a bottle, and we finally gave it to her despite our better judgment because everything was just so awful and we figured we'd form a plan to deal with it the next day, but not in the middle of the night. Eventually, my mom rocked her for an hour and half and was able to put her down without her waking up and screaming. Obviously, this is not a solution in the long run, if indeed this is the start of a new sleeping problem.

It's strange, but she also had sleeping problems come up last year at Christmas... just in time for the holiday break. Maybe the change in schedules is part of it? She seems very sensitive to little changes in her routine, even though you'd think this change would be in her favor (having us both around more). When her sleep gets messed up like this, it makes me realize how much I have been taking for granted, in how GOOD sleep makes your life so much better. When a child is not sleeping, your whole life becomes about how to help her sleep better, how to get more sleep yourself, and how to deal with the exhaustion, and it casts a pall over all the better parts of life, making it harder to enjoy the good times during the day--because you are dreading the problems at night. Bad sleeping has so many negative rippling-down effects. I think it even made me somewhat depressed, when we were in the thick of it.

I am hoping that this was a one-night anomaly, but better judgment tells me not to count on it. Boy, I sure don't feel like cracking my toddler sleep books again--especially since I've just started a potty-training one. She is taking a nap right now... she still lets us put her down for a nap and she is usually pretty good about going to sleep at night, although she has been waking up in the middle of the night. Oh, and she's been deliberately procrastinating bedtime, which is new.

On a different subject, one brief note on potty-training (which I have put off a shamefully long time): she has started asking us to look away or even leave the room when she poops. I think this is a good sign that she's ready for the potty. She does sit on the potty, but so far nothing's ever come out into it. So, I'm working on it... slowly.

1 Comments:

Blogger Haddayr said...

Oh, I'm so sorry!

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home