Sunday, June 07, 2009

Daisy and giants

Whenever something comes up that is new to Daisy or that she doesn't fully understand, she proposes the answer, "a giant?" Here is an example from today. We were driving, listening to my "Down from the Mountain" CD, and the Allison Krauss song came on that has the lines, "As I went down to the river to pray, studying about the good old way." Here is my little exchange with Daisy.

Daisy: What is "the good old way"?

Me (not exactly prepared for this question): Uhhh... it means living a good life, being kind to others and doing good things.

Daisy: Is it a giant or something?

Daisy also asked me a lot of questions about the man singing "You Are My Sunshine." I actually don't know who is singing that song (though I could find out easily enough, I suppose, if it's listed on the CD somewhere), but she was asking me who he was, whether he was playing the guitar, etc. Finally, after a thoughtful period, she said, "I'd like to meet him sometime, please."

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The good old way" would probably be the religious practices of our grandparents.

I can't recall who sang "Sunshine" on DOWN FROM THE MT. The song was written by a Southernor named Jimmy Something, who later became governor of his state.

Dad

11:19 AM  
Anonymous linda J. said...

The governor, Jimmie Davis, just bought the song...it had already been written by someone else. Sorry to come up with such arcane knowledge, but I became interested in the song recently and was researching it.

I would like to meet whoever was singing that song too.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Hey Dad. I know what the "good old way" is. But I didn't think I could explain it in a religious way to Daisy, y'know? I was trying to give her a definition she could grasp.

Today Daisy told me again that she wanted to meet the singer of "You Are My Sunshine." I asked her why, and she said, "Because I love him." SWEAR TO GOD.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right, the song is credited to Jimmie Davis and Charles Mitchell, which means that Mitchell probably wrote it.

It's not on DOWN FROM THE MT. It is on the sound track from O BROTHER, where it is sung by the famous bluegrass guitarist Norman Blake. Blake, influenced by Doc Watson, toured with June Carter, Cash, Dylan, Kristofferson and John Hartford. He played on the famous Joan Baez recording of THE NIGHT THEY DROVE OLD DIXIE DOWN. He has a lot of recordings out.

Dad

5:07 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

You are right, Dad, I mis-typed. I meant the "O Brother Where Art Thou" CD. Thanks for the info.--it seems Norman Blake is the man Daisy wants to meet!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

And who can blame her?

The question of whether "the good old way" is, in fact, "a giant or something" is making my head hurt.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Ha! Yes. I hadn't thought of it that way, but the good old way might possibly be a giant. I am starting to find that when Daisy and I differ on a point, she is often right.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home