Monday, November 09, 2009

Good day

I actually remembered my camera today, but the batteries died. So it is not my fault that I have no record of today's fun. I wish I did, though. There was no school today, so I took Daisy to Carol Wei's Monday ballet class. Afterward, she specifically requested "tofu" (!), so I took her to a Japanese restaurant on Balboa. You should have seen this child slurping seaweed (which she calls "spinach," but that's fine). Then we picked up our neighbors and good friends Robyn and Eli and we drove to the Hyde Street Pier. The kids had so much fun running all over and exploring the old ships--the Balclutha and the Eureka. At the end we bought them ice cream sundaes in Ghirardelli Square and went home. It was quite a day.

Daisy always refers to Eli as her brother, and when she saw him today from the car window she declared, "Eli is very cute." She also told me her classmate Nate "is a very exciting boy" (after a fun time spent with him at a birthday party on Sunday). She has been saying all kinds of funny and interesting things lately, and I am far behind in recording it all. When we left the birthday party, she was riding on Mark's shoulders and Nate said he would like to ride on Daisy's shoulders; Daisy said, "That would make me very happy."

I have noticed her drawing a lot of connections between books and real life in ways that seem advanced to me... for example, I had told her a bit about the story of The Wizard of Oz, and she asked repeatedly about what happens to the bad witch (melting). After a pause she said, "You know, sometimes I am not very nice." (She often says, "You know" and "Because.") And she mentioned a specific incident from over a week ago in which she knew she hadn't been very nice. I realized she was drawing a connection between the wicked witch's punishment and her own not-nice side! She said she would try harder to be nice, but I tried to reassure her that she wouldn't melt if she wasn't nice and also that people, unlike some characters in books, are never all good or all bad. I hope that helped.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good thing to avoid some families. I'll bet the school assigned them to help you in the hope that this family would learn how to be helpful. No dice.

Smile and avoid.

Gompy

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. Also, the school might want to know that the family was lame and didn't live up to their commitment to the school or to you. Not to be a snitch, but the school might want to know whether a planned part of their curriculum is not working the way they think it is. Perhaps on an evaluation form, so it would be anonymous, but perhaps still helpful?

Plus, as long as Daisy remains a confident kid, what other kids do will stay in perspective for her -- she'll know it's something up with them, and not about something being wrong with her. Montessori is probably a good environment for that.

Auntie Sam

6:56 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home