Sunday, November 29, 2009

Me vs. sinus infection

I have had a bad cold for the past week or so. Or, I don't know what it is, really. At points I had a fever, but not a very high one, and aches and pains. My main symptoms, though, have been a lot of congestion and a bad cough. I was waiting it out, hoping not to have to see a doctor, but two nights ago I had a staggeringly bad sinus headache when I tried to go to sleep at night. I took some Tylenol and was able to get to sleep, but last night I had another sinus headache that made the memory of the first one a sheer delight. It felt like the right side of my face was being crushed. The pain was so bad it seemed like it was in the bones themselves-- as I told the doctor today, I was almost certain I had face cancer (she laughed at me). Every time I started to drift off to sleep, I sat straight up in bed with a feeling like someone was pressing the right half of my face down into my brain, suffocating me. I finally had to give up and go sit in the living room in the middle of the night.

The worst part was that painkillers did NOTHING to this agony. I tried four Motrin--nothing. Three extra-strength Tylenol, an antihistamine--nothing. I had taken Tylenol Severe Cold Medicine and nothing happened, so I doubled the dose of that and added a cold compress to my face and finally was able to go to sleep at about 3:30 in the morning.

Anyway, I went to the doctor today and I now have some nice antibiotics, a nasal spray, and some Vicodin for the pain. That's a good thing, because I feel it coming back as we speak (it has been much worse at night). Now let's hope I get better, because I have two weeks of the semester left--a little less, actually--and many major projects due, including an oral presentation on Tuesday.

4 Comments:

Blogger cristian said...

You should try to compare your symptoms with sinus infection symptoms and my sincere advice for you is to go see a doctor if sinusitis might be your problem. Although at first it can be easy to deal with, if you let it develop more and more, well, you could end up with serious medical problems.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous GDC said...

Hi. Sorry to hear about your sinus problems. I'm not a doctor but IMHO nasal irrigation is a great place to start. Keeping the nasal passages clean can do wonders.
Dealing w/ chronic sinusitis is another story. Sinus surgery has long been the only option when all else fails. However there are now some other ways to turn. Balloon sinuplasty is gaining traction – lots of info out there.
Anyway. Knowledge is power – do your homework and talk to your doctor. Find the solution that fits your condition best.
Take care.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now everyone is sick except for Susan, so it must be her turn.

Dad

10:46 AM  
Blogger Mita said...

Oh no, BT. Was the doctor able to diagnose it when you went?

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home