Sunday, January 29, 2006

Mark's band Overdrive at Dan's...




...in Walnut Creek last night. They played "Working for the Weekend" by Loverboy and "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi. They played many other songs as well. They had "Eye of the Tiger" in their repertoire but to my dismay they did not play it. I've got to tell you, too--I think this particular crowd would have been UP for "Eye of the Tiger." I really, really do. P.S. The bass player in Overdrive feels that you can replace the lyrics to Iron Maiden’s “The Trooper” with the lyrics to Jerry Lee Lewis’s “Great Balls of Fire” without encountering a metrical snag, but I mentally tried it (at 3 am last night) and I feel fairly certain it only works for two lines. Let me know if you reach a different conclusion. P.P.S. He also thinks "Livin' on a Prayer" should be called "Livin' on my Hair."

3 Comments:

Blogger specules said...

Nice photos! You are capturing the world with that camera. Pretty soon you will be the ruler of the universe. Leave some for us.

I'm not making sense.

I don't understand "Livin' in my hair." No.

9:36 PM  
Blogger specules said...

Oops I mean "on"

9:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Ohhhh, yeah. "Livin' on my Hair"--well, first, I thought of Jon Bon Jovi back in the "big hair" days. Nowadays his hair is not nearly as big, so the joke makes less sense. But, anyway, if you remember his big hair--which really was amazingly poofy--the remark has at least two levels of signification that I can come up with. First, the literal: simply speaking, the hair was SO BIG that a lot of people could have lived in/on it. Second, the symbolic: the band was a huge commercial success, and it could be argued that they were "livin' on/off of" the power, magnetism, and sheer electric energy of...Bon Jovi's big hair. Anyway, those are the thoughts that come to my mind, for what it's worth.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home