Thursday, January 19, 2006

My Promotion!

I am excited because today I found out I got my “promotion” of sorts and was admitted to USF’s Preferred Hiring Pool for adjunct teachers. This was the pretty grueling process I went through last semester: I met with the dean twice; I was observed teaching by the dean and by the head of my program on two separate occasions (I wonder if that sounds as terrifying as it actually was?); and I created and assembled a fat portfolio of materials including a teaching philosophy, grading rationale, sample student papers with my comments and grades, sample assignments, copies of all my student evaluations, and letters of recommendation from both former students and colleagues. It took forEVER and I worked very, very hard. This is an important step for me because it means I will have much greater job security and a raise! I would also have access to benefits (though I am covered through Mark’s job already) and will have greater freedom and power as to the classes I select, how many I want, and the schedule I want to create for myself (though seniority-wise, of course, I am going to be at the bottom of the PHP list, so I must still defer to those who were admitted to PHP before me). I feel happy and relieved.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news! Congratulations! See you guys in about a week.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Dude, you ROCK! You are, in fact, the academic shizzle.

In my district, we get evaluated once a year--not all those steps that you suffered through, but many of them. It is a giant pain. And the thing is, it's not even like in a real job where your evaluation gets you a raise if you're any good. This gets me bupkus. Theoretically, I guess it lets me keep my job, but I can't imagine the atrocities I'd have to commit to LOSE my job. I would have to have actual sex with a very underage student IN FRONT OF the evaluator. Short of that, I dunno.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thank you!! Yes--our school has routine evaluations too, just to make sure you aren't insane or something. This was a whole other special process I went through when I taught my 24th credit hour (I became eligible to apply for it). Yay!

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the good news continues to grow--congratulations! I'm glad all of that paperwork paid off, since it does sound like quite an ordeal...

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! This is wonderful news! And a much more satisfying career achievement, I'm sure, than polishing props for a sub-par production of "No, No Nanette." ;)

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home