Friday, August 11, 2006

Daisy notes

Daisy has been working on a piercing scream. She still doesn't cry very much, and believe me I am grateful (though also well aware that a crying, colicky phase could still come along). But a recent development, if you want to call it that, is that if she falls off the boob while nursing, for even one eensy second, she lets out an earth-shattering scream, as though I am murdering her, before I can latch her back on there. Does she whimper quietly? Gurgle? Fuss gently? No. She screams.

She also has come down with some skin conditions that are most displeasing to her shallow mommy. Her forehead skin is peeling and reddish, and she has little whiteheads on her adorable pudgy face. The pediatrician warned us this might happened and called it "baby acne." Normal or not, it is still darned tempting to pop those little whiteheads. I told Mom I wanted to pop them, and she let out her own piercing scream and told me that if I did that, I could give her a brain infection. She said bacteria would go into the baby's brain and she would die. When cross-examined, she admitted that her source for this scientific information was her Aunt Evelyn.

Not that I am going to pop the baby's whiteheads. I am not, so don't worry. But when Mom told me I needed to learn to love her now for her inner beauty, I'm afraid I did say that I preferred her outer beauty at this moment, and Mom told me she could see I was going to be a very problematic mom.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mita said...

See, having been an acne-blessed child myself, this "defect" makes me love Daisy all the more. :-)

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. That'll go away. It's called milia, and is very common. I'tll go away. Don't put anything on her skin.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babyills/babyrash/10894.html

The peeling and stuff--that'll go away too. Both my girls had peeling hands and feet. Sort of severe bath pruning, if you like.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Oh! Thank you Mita!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

ahhh... that is reassuring, marguerite. thank you. i have been obsessing about this. i will check out the website you sent.

6:04 PM  
Blogger lumenatrix said...

Do you think Bliss Spa has a mommy/ baby facial special? ;)

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love baby zits! Finn had such a bad complexion-- and now it's perfect. Everytime we would go visit comeone important he'd get a big pink zit- or scratch himself on the face. It's totally normal for all their skin to fall off, as I'm sure you've figured out by now. I should have warned you.

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, babies get that. And Jack had a big red spot on his face that didn't go away for a year. It's their skin learning how to be skin. Eventually it adjusts.

2:41 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

I am glad to know Daisy isn't the only one. I can't believe how shallow I am! A lot of the relatives came to see the beautiful baby on Sunday, and I felt like before they laid eyes on her I had to say, "Before you see her, she has peeling skin on her forehead, and pimples, and she's been scratching her own face."

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah - I totally hear you. I still pop my whiteheads. If were a Mom I'd be tempted too! You make me laugh so hard. Love your stories.

The AMD

8:38 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thanks AMD!
I must confess I DID try to pop a whitehead yesterday, but my nails weren't long enough to get a good grip and it didn't pop. 'Tis my white whale, that whitehead... my whitehead whale.

Hope my mom doesn't read this.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home