Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Birth story, Part II

Things start getting a bit fuzzy from here on, because I was so tired and greater pain and hence disorientation were ensuing. I know they put me on an IV shortly after admitting me, and that it was administered by a nurse in training, under the supervision of a more experienced nurse. I completely understand that a nurse has to be trained, and has to have first-IV-insertion experiences; if every patient refused to be that person, how would nurses be trained? That was with the calm, rational side of my brain. With the pain-riddled, needle-phobic side, I was inwardly screaming, “Get this novice off my arm NOW before I slap her!” Yeah. She hurt me quite a bit and did not get the IV in properly. The experienced nurse informed me that my “vein was about to pop.” I didn’t like the sound of that. They took out the bad IV and put in another one. I had bruises all over my arm and a surprising amount of pain—who knew an IV could be so painful. This turned out to be true for the next four days of recovery. The IV area hurt and every time they swished something through it, flushing it out, the pain was bad (though compared to contractions, not much).

Some time after the IV, they started me on pitocin in the hopes that the labor would pick up speed. They also gave me a dose of Fentanyl through the IV. It had to be administered in installments of 3, each one given during a contraction. So the nurse and I would sit staring at the monitor that showed my contractions, and then she’d stick a little more Fentanyl in, with each of three contractions. I discovered that Fentanyl doesn’t do much to help with pain, but makes you sleepy. So then I was sleepy and in pain, instead of fully in possession of my senses and in pain. I think I must have sounded a bit disoriented when I was conversing with people, but was not nearly sleepy enough to actually go to sleep. The contractions also got a whole lot worse on the pitocin—-much more painful. Now I could feel the pain in more than just my uterus; it radiated through other parts of my body and was longer in duration. This period of the labor went on and on and on, with little to differentiate it. Nurses came and went, checking on my “progress,” and there were two doctors who came and went and checked on me, too. I think one was a resident, because the other doctor would sometimes ask her questions, what she thought of this or that, like it was a test, and then either agree with her answers or qualify them.

My parents arrived around 1 on Thursday afternoon, and my Aunt Sally, Uncle Tim, and cousin Megan arrived sometime later. When my mom walked into the room, she took one look at me and burst into tears. This was distressing. The whole time I was having the contractions and in pain, I would look at Mark to see if he was distressed, too, and equally convinced that I was going to die, and it was immensely reassuring when he didn’t appear to think I was going to die. Mom, poor soul, looked like she thought I was done for. (Dad claims he expressly told her not to cry when she saw me, too.) Mom is a big believer in the power of breathing through contractions and in the “focal point,” which she had selected for me—a pink conch shell with a lot of little edges and points to focus your eyes on. So she began waving the shell in my face during the contractions, while other people were commanding me to “breathe through it.” Megan took a now-comical picture of Mom leaning in toward the bed, waving the shell mesmerically in front of my eyeballs, while I moan and scream with my beautifully matted hair clinging to the sides of my head. I was doing my rhythmic breathing, and I did try to focus on the shell, but at some point the pains were so bad that I was kind of screaming. I tried to modulate the screams into the low-pitched moans we were told to do—for some reason, low-pitched moans are supposed to be more helpful than loud, high-pitched screaming. But to be honest, I am not sure I succeeded.

The whole time, I could watch the contractions on the monitor. The line would shoot right up into these scary pikes, and when the contraction lasted a long time, you could see it going along, level, on and on and on, at the top of the mountain. Then someone would say, “I think it’s subsiding now,” but sometimes it would shoot right back up and not be over. What I really wanted was for someone to estimate how long they tended to be and then tell me how much more pain I could expect, as in, “45 more seconds; 30 more seconds; 15 more seconds.” That was the only thing that ever gave me any hope. The doctors and nurses kept checking me, and at some point they said I had dilated to about 4 cm. Whoopee!

My family kept me company, and it was nice that they chatted about other subjects, like George W. Bush’s stupidity, the Israel-Lebanon war, and The Daily Show. I wasn’t capable of responding much or participating in the conversation, but it was reassuring that life was going on, despite the utter horror that mine had become. I think if they had all looked panic-stricken and talked about nothing except my failure to progress, it would have been worse. (Well, Mom looked panic-stricken, but I can forgive her.) Mark’s family came and went at some point—I’m not quite sure when, since time blurred together so seamlessly.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So there is something to be said here about narrative deferral! I'm sitting here avidly awaiting the next installment (even though I already know it).

You were so brave. You rock girl!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally empathize with the IV bruising... when I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I woke up to find my arm covered in very painful bruises (even bending my arm was painful!). The bruises were much more painful than the tooth removal! (Apparently it is difficult to IV me as my veins collapse easily--my mom said it also happened when I was four, so I am not looking forward to the next time!

avidly awaiting the "next installment" like Amy. You go girls! (as well as Mark and the furry boys)

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the same thing happened to me with a novice nurse and an IV, too. I remember I was terrified about the procedure I was about to go through -- and the silly twit just collapsed in giggles and buried her face in my stomach, saying, "Oh geezum, oh geezum, it's stuck!"

I love the shell focal point story.

By the way, Amy's right. You are the bravest girl ever! Bravo, Sar! Can't wait for more ...

5:42 PM  
Blogger lumenatrix said...

Wow, Sarah, you are my hero right now.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Oh, wow--lots of my friends are reading my long-winded, excruciatingly detailed narrative! Thank you, guys!

It's funny how I ended up wanting to remember every last little thing about this agonizing experience.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Oh, yes, pitocin--VERY painful contractions that last forever without that "roll" that natural ones have. So you can't comfort yourself by telling yourself it's about to go away. Blugh.

I guess my IV experience was pretty usual, though, gathering from what Katherine and Jenny said. There are still enormo-bruises all over that arm and having it be so tender made nursing more challenging. But overall, I am just grateful I didn't have to get shots all the time--IVs are a good idea. I wish there were just some way for them to be less painful.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are some uncanny similarities about our labors Sarah-- I had a new nurse try my first IV (which she blew) and then I had the same infection you got (chorioamnionitis) and needed pitocin. I did manage, for whatever reason, to do the low moan instead of a scream-- I had a sore throat the next day like a teenager at a rock concert. What a nightmare for you- why can't we be like Kangaroos and deliver a little peanut-type thing?

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, honey, I'm so sorry you had to go through it this way.

It does make one feel as if one's lower body is being put through a sausage grinder, doesn't it?

We called that contraction monitor the "pain-o-meter."

6:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

The pain-o-meter: I like it. Didn't you love it when they asked you to rate your pain on a scale of 1 to 10? You really feel like you're having 8s and 9s, and then later you realize that those earlier pains were more like 5s and 6s.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Noe-- yes, that was it! Chorioamnionitis. It does sound like we had some uncanny similarities. Did they also tell you the baby had the infection? Gawd. That was when despair started to set in. And wasn't pitocin delightful?

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually had to beg my doctor to start pitocin after 4 hrs of pushing-- I was doing nipple stimulation cause my contractions were spacing out thanks to the infection and I was relieved cause then I could stop groping myself. By that point my crotch pain outweighed my contraction pain.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA! Yes, the rate the pain scale! You're like, what the fuck? I have no idea what my capacity is, how do I know whether this is an 7 or an 11?

9:03 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Noe, I wonder why your docs didn't want to give you the pitocin?

Marguerite--yes! Isn't the pain scale thing crazy? Being an English major, and fully convinced of the subjective nature of the universe, I found it especially challenging. Didn't the number on the pain scale all depend on one's perspective? :-)

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home