Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Sleep-deprived

At about 3 am last night, I found myself wondering whether it was possible to actually die of breastfeeding. If so, I hope they don't charge Daisy with homicide. THAT is a mother's love.

Check out Mark's Daisy entries sometime--3 entries so far, more pics:
http://mundanemark.blogspot.com/

Yesterday I learned the phrase "intertitial time" from Noe. Because she is an ob gyn, at first I thought she was using abstruse medical terminology and was nodding sagely and saying, "Oh yes, of course, uh-hmm, I know all about intertitial time." Then I realized the phrase's etymology in the Latin prefix "inter" and the Germanic "tit." I am now using the term to its fullest extent. This is VERY significant time, as the baby has had one boob and so is not fussy and you can do things to it like change its diaper, which you would not want to do in the post-duotittal time, when you are hoping--hoping, hoping, HOPING--it will go to sleep.

I do not understand infants. Daisy had the most wonderful schedule during the day. She would have her nursing session, then sleep for a nice long period of time, then wake up asking for more. Okay, it was a little monotonous, but it was predictable and orderly and I could get used to it. I assumed the night would go the same way, so I'd have nice stretches of 2-3 hours of sleep.

Er...I was wrong. As it turned out, her plan all along had been to rest up during the day so that she could eat ALL NIGHT. This is where the homicidal breast-feeding came in.

So as much as I want to finish the blog post I am writing about her birth, I am now convinced that people aren't joking when they said I should sleep when she is sleeping, even during the day. This is going to be hard.

9 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

Oh, my poor dear Sarah. She's a lucky girl, that Daisy-face. Make sure you're eating enough, too.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you know why I say "sleep is love." Hang in there. It's tough for a rather longer time than seems humane, but it gets easier.

1:03 PM  
Blogger arweena said...

wow. now i feel like a lame-ass for complaining about getting up this morning at 4:30am to say goodbye to dave's parents.

i find sleep deprivation to be one of the most horrible things in the world, so i feel for you sweetie...i feel for you.... :(

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do sympathize -- take it easy on yourself when you can. I remember those days of sleep deprivation and how I'd have hallucinations of radio announcers talking in my head. I knew this was a sign I was about to fall asleep and I greeted the hallucinations with joy and relief.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I understand all about breastfeeding issues. Did you have trouble at first latching on and did they give you a pump or give you a lecture about breastfeeding at the hospital? I can't believe you are home after the c-section so quickly! I supplemented with formula because I couldn't deal with the rabid hunger of infants, plus my milk was slow to come in. So, I really feel for you! Supposedly, people get to the point where they can doze and nurse at the same time...!!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thanks for sympathizing! Yeah...you know, your whole idea of a good night's sleep completely changes. I am now utterly happy if I can sleep for 4 hours a day. Really.

Stacy--I had hallucinations, too! I saw apparitions in my hospital room and I think I may have spoken to them. I also saw stock market ticker tape running along the bathroom door. I knew it couldn't really be there, so I focused very hard on not seeing it, but no matter what I did, it was still there.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

I did have a C-section-- that is all too true. I am going to post an abridged tale of the experience today if I can. And you are so right about the football hold, Haddayr. It saved my life.

Luckily my milk came right away (they said it might not with a C-section, but it did--maybe because I went into labor first,and had 26 hours of it--I wonder if the milk problem is more the case with planned C-sections, where you don't go into labor first? I don't know). Melissa, I have not had to supplement with formula--yay--the baby has actually gained more weight back than they expected. That tells you what I have been doing, non-stop, for the last five days. I have been having surprisingly good luck with the breastfeeding, latching on, etc. Keep your fingers crossed this does not change!

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sleep when the baby sleeps. i thought I'd be all tough and get stuff done with the first baby, but no. You can be all tough when Daisy is, say, 5.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home