Friday, June 30, 2006

Prepare to envy me

"When I talk with Sarah,
I could laugh till tomorrow.
She has this sunny face
you can never spray mace
in."

That is the first verse of a love poem someone wrote me in high school, just re-discovered as I went through another box of old papers. Honestly, I am a little evil to be laughing at the poem, since I know the poet meant well and was trying to show genuine appreciation of me. It's just...well, I'd been hoping for something a little sublimer when I unfolded the paper, saw my name at the top, and noticed that the lines were broken down like verse.

On the other hand, I was a very difficult adolescent. I'm sure lots of people wanted to spray mace in my face. I should perhaps feel more touched and honored by the poet's sentiments.

The poet goes on to point out that I have "lots of interests" and that my name spelled backward is "Haras Ssog." God, was there anything about me that could inspire some loftier emotions?

Oh well. At least now, there are 114 posts, rather than 113. Did you know I was superstitious?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cole Porter himself couldn't have said it better. :)

For what it's worth, never once did I want to come out there and mace you.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Mita said...

Oh, that's CUTE. And you DO have a sunny face!

I have a couple recollections of poems that I exchanged in highschool. The first was one I wrote to Danny C. when he told me he didn't like me. The first stanza was:

How am I supposed to act
When I see your caring eyes
Or when you smile your sweet smile
Now that you can't be mine?

Oh BARF!!!

The next was written by David C. to me after I told him I didn't like him. He even framed it for me and everything. One of the parts was:

green
is my soul
falling.

Awwwwwww.

Wow--so much rejection. This is SO telling!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

That's right--for the record, Matt is *not* the author of this beautiful poem :-)

8:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Wow, Mita, I think David C. was on to something there! It was just so... William Carlos Williams-esque.

Didn't you ever write something for one of the Benjies? :-)

9:31 PM  
Blogger Mita said...

No, alas, both Benjies remained Mita-poemless. I don't think either of them realized I had mad crushes on them either. What if I HAD written them confessional love sonnets? Surely their little fourth grade minds would have fell madly in love with me and I would totally have converted to the Jewish faith by now. It would just be a matter of which Benji. I think Isaacson.

So much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, I don't know who wrote that poem, but I think it's wonderful!
I'm with Matt, it flows like a Cole Porter song. Why not post the entire poem????

5:28 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thanks, M.B.! Well, I would post the rest of the poem, except the rest isn't nearly as beautiful and moving as those opening lines. But I will keep my eyes open for other gems as I make my way through the piles and piles and piles of papers....

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home