Friday, June 23, 2006

Newborn babies...

...are like ugly-cute little aliens. It's not every day I get to see a 1-week old and some 3-week olds, and I really admired the moms for being willing to bring them in. I anticipate that I'll still be lying around the house, moaning and feeling sorry for myself, one week into it.

I'm glad I saw them, too, because now I have a better idea of what to expect. I really don't mean this to be offensive, because they were cute, but they were definitely kind of weird, too. Their little knees didn't unbend all the way, and their skin was reddish and chafed, and their wee faces were constantly changing into expressions they clearly had no control over. They would squinch up their eyes, and roll their tongues around in their mouths, and open and close their mouths randomly, and their poor little eyes looked all glassy and unfocused, and their limbs would sort of flail about uncontrolledly. Gerber babies definitely do not represent the reality of a newborn.

I really and truly don't mean these comments to be insulting. This is just what it looks like to be a newborn, I learned. You are kind of out of control and you haven't developed your eye contact or limb coordination skills yet. It's not your fault--you'll get there! They were funny little guys. I thought their screams were sort of cute and funny, too, though maybe I won't think that in the middle of the night, three weeks into it. They would wake up and immediately start screaming, even though there wasn't any reason to scream; they had no sense of the larger picture. No perspective. For some reason that seemed funny.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mita said...

Newborns are kinda funny, aren't they? It's too bad we don't give birth to puppies.

But I suppose that would be very, VERY weird.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very good description really. I admit that while I knew that my newborn's bizarre movements were just lack of control, I always felt as though he were trying to signal me -- he'd wave his arms like some crazed air-traffic guy or conductor. The problem was I just didn't know the language. No wonder he'd get frustrated! And those crazy expressions were practice!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

I am sure I will think my own baby is sending me intelligent signals and making meaningful eye contact with me :-) I predict total hypocrisy from myself! Although I've sworn that I will realistically assess my daughter's cuteness, smartness, talent, etc., I've already had powerful suspicions that she may be the most exceptional fetus in all the history of fetusdom. Yep. It's got to be true.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Mita, I DID have a dream that I gave birth to kittens. Gross. My cats are way too prominent in my life!

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think newborns are hysterical. They have their own cuteness.Such intense, dark eyes!

When we broughtthe first one home the spouse and I would peek in and poke her to see if she was still, uh, alive. We were terrified of her.

The second one would smile in her sleep--little, gooey grins--and would not completely close her eyes. We'd hold her while she was unconscious and watched these little slits of cornea and her blue eyes would be going all over the place, complete with blissed out smile--the kid freaked us out.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

I am sure I'll be the same way--poking the baby to see if she is still alive. I do that with my cats already. It drives my husband crazy.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home