Thursday, June 29, 2006

Updatey Post

1) On Monday Mark and I are going in to "interview" a potential pediatrician at Kaiser. This is Kaiser's standard practice; my plan was just to have my first appointment with someone they recommended, then switch doctors if something didn't feel right. But when I called, Kaiser told me it was standard to have an interview with the possible pediatrician. That's fine, except...I have no idea what I am supposed to ask her. I don't know very much about pediatricians--or children, really. And it feels kind of strange to be interviewing a pediatrician for a child who doesn't exist yet. My superstitious self doesn't feel quite easy with it. I think I'll just see if I like her.

2) Shouldn't pregnant people be able to drive in the carpool lane? In horrible 101 traffic yesterday, it suddenly occurred to me that it was strange that the law considers this baby a person at this point in some contexts, but not in others. I think I should also be able to go over the Golden Gate Bridge for free (when riding with Mark and the baby) during rush hour, when 3 people are required to skip the toll. I assumed I was just being difficult, but Mark looked on the CHP website for information about carseats and he found another pregnant woman asking this question. The answer, you will not be surprised to hear, is "No."

3) Mom says she's looking forward to playing with the baby's feet.

4) I didn't think it was possible for my heartburn to get any worse, but it has.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of that interview can and probably should be about the vibe that you get from this pediatrician. If you feel comfortable around this person it's going to take at least some of the stress out of the experience of labor. Beyond that, you can PROBABLY assume that pediatricians have equivalent credentials, not including years of experience.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thanks, Bill! I agree about seeing if we have a good vibe together (though I'm not sure how liking my pediatrician will take any stress out of the *labor* experience, per se...that has more to do with my ob gyn, and I don't even know if she's going to be able to be at my delivery. Sniff). It's interesting; the Kaiser website has biographies for each pediatrician that include their credential but also things like their interests and hobbies. They clearly want you to have someone you get along with. But choices are also limited by which pediatricians have openings and which don't. So, we shall see!

11:23 AM  
Blogger specules said...

When I googled "what to look for in a pediatrician" I got lots of results including this one, for a start: http://www.thehealthpages.com/articles/ar-pedia.html

A lot of this and the other one I read sounds like good common sense but there are a handful of questions I wouldn't have thought of...

4:18 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thank you for this link, Deb--I will definitely check it out. And I would never have thought on my own to try googling the question... d'oh!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

That is a good idea--thank you, Haddayr! I've been using more pillows than usual, but am probably not as propped-up as I could be. I got almost no sleep last night, and I am TEARING through the bottles of Mylanta, which can't be good.

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home