Wednesday, April 25, 2007

First word...yes, that is right, skeptics

Daisy said "cat" today. She really, really did. I have been totally conservative on the first word question, people: I did not count "dada" or "mama," which she has been saying for months, because I don't believe she knows what they mean. She does say "hi" and "hey" and I think she's aware it's a kind of greeting, but I didn't count that, either. (Oh, and she waves now--it's the cutest thing. She waves AFTER the person has left, and waves in the opposite direction, so they can't see her doing it. But she knows it's associated with a person's departure.)

But today was something completely different. She was looking at the cat and saying her word for "cat," which sometimes sounds like "gak," sometimes like "dat," and sometimes like "cah." I pointed to the cat and said, "cat." She was looking very deliberately into my eyes, and she repeated, "gak." I again pointed at the cat and said "cat." She kept looking back and forth between me and the cat and slowly and deliberately saying her "cat" word (gak, cah, dat). We went back and forth about TEN TIMES. It was amazing. She was concentrating hard and working on her pronunciation. Her pronunciation is still imperfect--of course. She is 9 months old. But I could see her grasping the concept that this guy who fascinates her (the cat) has a name. And she really was trying to say it!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hooray for daisy! looking forward to meeting her soon!

Adrienne :)

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAZEL TOV TO THE LITTLE BAGEL,
DAIZELAH!!!!!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Mita said...

Oh hee!!! I hope Claude and Kerouac appreciate the honor.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And which cat was looking back at Daisy, thinking "what now?"

I can definitely see why "cat" is her first word, as the felines slink and glide through your apartment! And yes, like Mita I think it is a honour for Claude and Kerouac!

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to point out that a few days before this cat event. Daisy was drumming on the table. She would drum three times and look at me. I would drum three times. She would then drum four times and stop and look at me. I would drum four times. This pattern went on until I grew tired of it. But she was deliberately communicating--in a sense.

Grandpa

11:39 AM  
Blogger Haddayr said...

Wonderful! What a marvel she is.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Daisy! Can't wait to meet you.

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home