Sunday, April 15, 2007

See, this is why I'm superstitious

Last night I wrote a post about how well everything was going. I called it "Happy, but cautious." I tried to appease the gods by qualifying everything I said and by mentioning some of the negatives that were still happening in my life. Nevertheless, I was uncomfortable about the perky and upbeat nature of the post. Among other things, I mentioned that for the last three nights, Daisy had slept ten hours straight.

After a few hours of the post being up, the discomfort became unbearable. I went back online and deleted it (so, probably, nobody ever read it). But the damage was done. Not five minutes later, Daisy started wailing from her crib. It was about midnight. Mark and I tried rocking her back to sleep, three or four times each; every time, she went back to sleep easily, but woke up crying the second we put her back in her crib. Finally, we brought her to bed; I gave in and nursed her, which always works. She would STILL not go back to sleep. She wiggled and squirmed and fussed till 2 or 3 in the morning. She was awake again at 6. I have had almost no sleep.

So, you see, that perky, immodest post has cursed me, even though I deleted it. Either that, or the fact that we deviated from her bedtime routine last night cursed us. And I honestly don't know which option is worse. Is she so inflexible that an occasional change in her bedtime routine throws her completely off kilter?

4 Comments:

Blogger Haddayr said...

Is she so inflexible that an occasional change in her bedtime routine throws her completely off kilter?

Yes. All babies are.

Also, the other thing.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

oh, do I ever hear ya...

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to say it, but I'm curious about the negatives--I want to hear about your life, both good and bad. Hope the negatives are relatively minor and the positives more than make up for it! Sounds like they are, despite your superstitious nature...

I have to admit that spilt salt gets to me (apparently the history of that derives from when salt was an extremely valuable commodity, same with broken mirrors), and I always have to pick up lost pennies (for fear of bad luck--my high school Latin teacher is at fault for that one!).

Have a terrific day and continue to enjoy this glorious spring (Ok, we're not getting enough rainwater, but let's focus on the positives here ;-))

10:10 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Katherine,
I always pick up lost pennies, too!! It's an awful superstition, since they are so filthy, but I can't help it.

Okay, I'll share what I had written for the negatives, before I deleted the post: "I don't exercise as much as I need to, other than walking, and my diet isn't as good as it should be. I don't feel particularly creative or like a very fascinating conversationalist or blogger-person. My allergies are acting up and my house isn't as clean as I want it to be. Sometimes I still harp on things from the past that have irritated me or hurt me and have bad dreams about those things. My wardrobe is the pits but I definitely can't afford new clothes. My job wears me out. I feel guilty about what a terrible correspondent I've become."

There is something more to add to that list, now, but it's too private to post on the blog so I'll probably be letting people know on an individual basis, as it comes up.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home