Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sentence of the day

I do feel bad for laughing, but the student himself (who was very sweet) thought the sentence was hilarious once I explained what it meant.

"Unfortunately, children all over this country who are afflicted with cerebral palsy will never realize their dream of immolating America's great baseball heroes."

I blame Spellcheck.

EDIT:
In case it isn't clear from the sentence, the paper was arguing that it was unfair that the American dream as specifically manifest in the ability to rise up from obscurity and become a sports hero was denied to people with severe disabilities and "life-threatening illnesses." I have to admit that I was having a small problem with this thesis before I got to the immolation, and was trying to figure out how to politely frame the potential objections to the logic of it...so that when I got to the scores of youth with cerebral palsy dreaming of setting Barry Bonds on fire, it was very hard not to chuckle and I am proud of myself that I did not.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bianca said...

That is the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. It IS kinda unfair that kids with disabilities can't light Barry Bonds on fire, though. I think that would really improve the species.

And I share your hesitation about the idea that it's unfair that professional sports fame is reserved for the able bodied. Uhm . . .

7:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Bianca! I owe YOU an email... it is coming soon.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... gee! *I* think it's unfair that dead people can't play professional football and other professional sports!

;-D

11:42 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

It's not just students, of course. I noticed this headline in Yahoo! Health News last week: "Exercise Helps Slow Smokers' Lung Function Decline."

I KNEW exercise was a bad idea, I just KNEW it! Those poor slow smokers...

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home