Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What's stuck in my head today?

I went to the animal fair
the birds and the beasts were there.
The old baboon by the light of the moon
was combing his auburn hair.
The monkey, he got drunk;
he sat on the elephant's trunk;
the elephant sneezed and fell on his knees
and what became of the monk?

There are many alternate versions of this song, and in some of the them, the monkey is not drunk. Also, they tend to end with "That was the end of the monk." I guess my version didn't want to upset the kiddies with this terrible ending, although it didn't mind the idea of making the monkey an alcoholic.

EDIT: Oh, wow, that's interesting. I just found the lyrics to our version online, and the word "drunk" appears as a link. You click on it, and it says, "Drinking too much isn't good for monkeys! And it isn't good for YOU either, and could lead to serious problems and addictions. In fact, addictions of all types can be very serious health concerns. Please visit the Too Smart to Start website of The National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information. You should also visit the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and NIDA's Mind Over Matter site to learn more about addictions. And check out their Marijuana: Facts for Teens and Facts for Parents website. Also check out Tips 4 Kids, Prevent the Addiction and FDA Kids!"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh -- and I often tell my kids they're acting like drunken monkeys. So now I need to find that song.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And if you visited all those sites, you need to add one on OCD, what it is and why we think you have it! ;-D

I remember the song ending with repetitions of "The monk, the monk the monk."

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with this post, but it does with past posts on the dreaded ASPIRATOR. Who knew that at 2 years old the aspirator would suddenly become funny. Well, I guess I should have seen it coming. I mean of course sticking things up your nose that make sucking sounds is hilarious at 2. Hmm, I think I'd better keep an eye on those crayons/

7:30 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Amy--
Is that a good thing, then? Does that mean she's laughing rather than crying? Or does the laughing make it almost as hard to get the job done?

Mark and I have`developed a brutal but effective technique to deal with the nose clogs. It's pretty messy and she cries, but the stuff gets out. Bluuuuughhh.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Dear Grndexter,
Right on both counts: that's how the song ends, and I think I have a touch of OCD :-)

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home