Saturday, January 13, 2007

Something is very, very wrong with me

Today a friend of mine suggested to me that my voice sounds very loud on my cell phone voicemail message, triggering a sensitive spot for me because one of my pet peeves about my mother is that she's so loud on the phone that I have to hold it a foot away from my ear when I speak to her. The friend didn't mean any harm, but it did strike a nerve, so I called my cell phone--from my home phone--to see if my voice really sounded that loud.

I NEVER have my cell phone on, ever, so I'd like to say that at least partially explains what is otherwise inexplicable.

I dialed my cell phone, then sat there waiting, my ear next to the home phone receiver. Nothing happened. Then, a second later, I heard my cell phone ringing.

Who could it be? I wondered. I looked at the little screen and it said "Mark." Oh, Mark must be calling me from work, I thought. I answered, shouting into the phone, "Mark? Mark?" Then, more urgently, "Mark! Mark! Are you there? Are you there?"

Finally, dismayed, I hung up. I thought, okay, back to what I was doing before I was interrupted by that phone call from Mark: trying to see if my voice is too loud on my cell phone voicemail.

Only then did I realize that I had been calling myself. I guess I have our home phone listed on my cell phone as "Mark."

Hmmmm. I wonder how concerned I should be at the state of my brain?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww.

I think you just need some sleep.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Mita said...

I would only be concerned if Mark began talking back to you.

By the way, I do stuff like that all the time--isn't that up there with looking for your glasses when they're on your head, or putting your office key into your apartment door, almost every time? *whistles embarressedly* Sleep, SLEEP, we must sleeeeeeeeep!!!! And not go to our offices so much.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

As someone--I think Anne Lamott--said, "When your baby is born, it arrives with about a fifth of your brain cluched in its tiny fist."

5:58 PM  
Blogger Haddayr said...

bwaaaaa!

Blame it on Daisy. I blame all of my brainless moments on my children. Before I had them, I was a well-oiled MACHINE.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Heheheheh. Thanks for the reassuring words! Yeah... true, Mark didn't speak back to me. That's got to be a tiny straw to clutch on to. Thanks for the perspective, Mita :-)

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home