Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A big milestone

Daisy rolled all the way over, from her back to her stomach, yesterday night, and then repeated it two more times. It was so weird-looking, not at all the graceful acrobatics I had imagined. She'd been rolling over on her right side, but she couldn't figure out how to get the right arm out that was trapped underneath her. Then, on Monday, I noticed her sort of rubbing her face in the carpet as she turned on her side. Then she'd flop back on her back, some carpet fuzz and cat hair now attached to the drool on her face. It was pa-thetic! Then, yesterday (Tuesday) she finally made it. Again she rolled on her right side and pressed her face in the carpet, but somehow, this time she got her right arm out and popped up on her stomach, looking totally nonchalant, like she did this every day of the week. It was awesome.

Of course, now we have a slight problem. Every time I put her down on the floor, she rolls over. But once on her stomach, she becomes unhappy very quickly and moans. She can't figure out how to get back on her back. So I put her back on her back...and she flips over. This could get old.

I am also worried about her flipping over on her face at night in the bassinet. Can she do this in her sleep sack, does anyone know? I'm thinking she couldn't manage it, because the sleep sack traps her legs. But who knows.

Grrreat! A new thing to worry about in my neurotic way.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Daisy! The beginnings of being mobile. You go girl.

And yes, she will probably learn to do it (eventually) in her sleep sack.

And here today our daughter learned to put a lid on a plastic tupperware container. Doesn't sound like much, but it actually takes some dexterity.

Ah, the milestones

8:51 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Oi! Well, good to know. Hmmm, think I'll go check on her right now :-)
And I am totally impressed by the tupperware lid. I know that takes dexterity, because I can barely do it myself sometimes!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Lee and Davo said...

Go, Daisy, Go! That's a great milestone!

Yeah, she'll start doing it in her sleep sack. When ours started doing that (in his sleep sack too) last January, I could hardly close my eyes for two weeks. I was terrified of him sleeping on his stomach, having visions of him suffocating. So I'd get up and flip him back onto his back three or four different times during the night. Eventually he was able to roll 360, but it took me a while to get used to his anything-but-on-the-back sleeping positions from that point on. Ah, the anxiety! :)
Lee

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we too spent some more sleepless nights when daughter-person learned this trick. We too could not forget the threatening voices warning, "On the back. On the back." But it was fine. I think if she has enough back muscles to roll herself over she has enough back muscles to lift her little head to breathe. Adele slept better on her back. Maybe Daisy will too!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Oh, I am glad to know I am not alone in worrying, and also that things seemed to turn out fine for the other babies. The rolling over trick is still new, and she gets very frustrated once on her stomach-- often just ends up flat on her face, softly moaning. But today it seems she's figured out how at least to turn her face to the_side_, so she's not nose-first in the carpet...at least she can breathe better this way. It's still incredibly sad-looking, to see her flopped down that way, so defeated.

But when I put her back on her back, she immediately flips back over. It is endless. Luckily, she still seems content to sleep on her back at night...keeping my fingers crossed.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home