Sunday, November 19, 2006

Question

Okay, I've got to ask the experienced parents this question. It's just this: people told me, probably just trying to save me from plunging into despair in the very beginning, that things get easier with a baby at 3 months. But this is not what has happened. Is that bizarre, or has it been anyone else's experience? I would say, thus far, that things were easiest at maybe 2.5 months, up until even maybe the end of the third month or a little past then. But for the last 3 weeks or so, it has been really, really, really hard. A lot harder than before. Daisy will be 4 months tomorrow, and I think in some ways it's been the hardest month, largely because of this teething business. She drools; she chomps her fist and moans. MOANS. She actually moans a large part of every day. While she's moaning, she's drooling and shoving her hands in her mouth and writhing. Sometimes she gets so worked up she can only be soothed by one of us walking with her in the sling till she finally gets exhausted and falls asleep. It's terribly painful to watch. There have been many days when I spent the WHOLE day simply trying to distract her from her gum pain. And nothing I've tried seems to work: teething rings, wet washcloths, homeopathic remedies, Baby Tylenol, even Baby Orajel. Or they'll work but only very, very briefly, and then back to the same.

So I am wondering if this has been anyone else's experience. Did anyone else think things were actually *harder* at this point, or am I pretty much alone in this? And, er, when did it get better? Because it's been about 3 weeks of fussing, and it's so tiring and draining and frustrating. Before the gum stuff started, she was a tranquil, happy baby, too. I am so sad for her. What next??

9 Comments:

Blogger lumenatrix said...

Well, I'm obviously not an experienced parent, but I can tell you that when the girl downstairs from me had her baby we barely even knew she was there. We never heard a peep out of her... until 3 months, when she started letting loose in the middle of the night with crazy screaming/crying and fussing, and all kinds of other unpleasant noises babies can make. So, I really don't think you're the only one who has experienced this phenomenon.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to be depressing, but just want until you toilet train them...power wars! I had the brilliant idea to let Britin run around naked because I thought he was just using his diaper as a crutch...and then once he pooped on the floor pretending to be a dog and then he was jumping on the couch naked and a huge poop went flying out his butt, mid-jump, and (un)luckily I caught it.

Baby vicodin...they need to make baby vicodin. Very small doses of opiate are needed... :-(

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, all that worked with Britin was ice...I let him chew it straight on, but I suppose Daisy is too young for that...maybe ice in a rag?

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try really hard not to put dates on these things. "It's easy for __ months, it's hard for __ weeks." It's just hard, a lot. They go through easy phases, and they go through tough phases. (Charlie, resident baby of my household, is going through a tough phase right now, which we think is a reaction to his latest round of shots. He's cranky all the time and will not be put down. Katie is beside herself.)

It gets better. It usually takes much longer to get better than you'd think is reasonable. And then you go through the next phase. At 2 they're little monkeys, at 4 they're insane, at 8 they push the boundaries they've already tested three times. This is hard.

Being a parent tests you in ways you never imagined. But you ARE up to it, you DO come out the other side, and it IS worth it.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thanks, you guys. Yeah...and I shouldn't even be complaining that much, as Beth's example makes me realize, because Daisy is not crying all the time or anything like that. It is more like this uncanny, haunting MOAN.

Heheheh...your story cheered me up, Melissa. I dig the flying poop bit.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, melissa, omg. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sounds like Daisy is dying, right? Ahh, babies don't always cry. Baby #2 never really cried (wah wah) unless she got scared by the mailman for the longest time.

It gets so one seriously contemplates the old "whiskey on the gums" bit. Or, you know, for you.

3:47 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Oh yes, I have heard all about the whisky on the gums! (My mother-in-law said to be sure you use whisky, not brandy, because for some reason girls don't like the brandy.) Baby Vicodin, Baby Valium, a whisky cure...I guess it's kind of sad that there are times when you just want to bop the baby on the head, basically, and make her be quiet. But that is how I've been feeling. I said "Shut up" to her the other day. My mother always said that was the rudest thing you could say to a person, and I said it. I wish there were less taboo about admitting that sometimes you feel angry at your baby :-)

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Psst--we have actually called our baby "The Little Turd" from time to time....

7:12 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Hee hee hee hee!! Okay, I feel better. Mark and I have called Daisy a dingleberry.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home