Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Bath

As a measure of how far we've come since I wrote this (a post relating the woes and hardships of giving Daisy a bath)--
http://sarahgossblog.blogspot.com/2006/08/two-milestones-written-last-week.html

--I have grown SOOO very skillful at giving her a bath that she actually fell asleep in the middle of it today. And her hair was totally wet at the time, too.

Daisy is a complicated little person. Yes, I know, Matt warned me--he said exactly what I am about to say now--but who can BELIEVE anyone before it happens to them?: I had all these things figured out about Daisy, and our routine was beautiful and seamless, and now... it is all gone. All the stuff that worked no longer works. She spits out the pacifier. She HATES the car seat and the stroller. And she does not sleep a wink in the car.

We drove to Monterey this weekend for Mark's birthday, and let me assure you that she was wide awake all the way down, even though we were up to beautifully lulling speeds on the freeway, and wide awake all the way back. Not only was she awake, she was bored, which meant she was fussy. The one thing that helps every time is Glow Worm. Have you seen this bizarre little creature? My cousin Rachel gave it to me and I wouldn't have guessed it, but this thing's a godsend (thank you, Rache). Glow Worm is a strange little doll with huge eyes and a plastic face that turns red and glows when you press his (her??) stomach; then, as a series of baby songs plays, the glow gradually fades from his face till he's just plastic again. He is SO weird, and Daisy ADORES him.

So, in the car, she'd start to fuss, and I would stick Glow Worm in front of her and play his tunes, and she'd calm down again. But I had to do it over and over and over and over and over and over again. For, like, two hours. Now, the tunes are in my head, probably permanently. I will need to have them surgically removed. I hope they invent a laser beam that can do it so I don't have to have open-brain surgery.

I must say to any parents-to-be who may be reading this, you need Glow Worm. Get Glow Worm. Go to the store and purchase Glow Worm. Put Glow Worm on your registry. Do what it takes, but obtain Glow Worm, at all costs. He/she may save YOU on a two-hour trip someday, too. And don't hate him because he's weird, with disproportionate facial features and an eerie glow and plays the same six songs over and over and over and over again. He is your baby's bestest friend--take it from me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have Britin/Maddy's old glowworm hanging out in the guest room somewhere...it was very useful, and it is very strange. It scares the kitties, now!

Do any parents have glowworm--I am cold, so I keep typing glowwarm-- themed nursery rooms, I wonder?

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have retro old Glow Worm (aka "Glowie"). Daughter #1 didn't really cotton to him (spoiled wench) so Daughter #2 gets him. He doesn't play music (yours is a newer model) but she is amused by him. But then she's so wierd she'll cuddle a bottle of lotion. Skinner woul'dve loved her.

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home