Thursday, November 09, 2006

Popping up briefly

This pop-up will be brief because I'm using Mark's computer. Mine continues to be defunct. I am not sure when we'll be able to get me another.

Sadly, I can't post pictures of Daisy till I get my hard drive back, safely installed on another computer. Will a picture of her dressed as an eggplant still be diverting in, say, January?

I have been going through something of a hard time lately. I have had a lot of physical problems recently, too personal and icky to go into here, some related to the aftermath of Daisy's delivery. Around the time my body started having its meltdown, Daisy seems to have hit some particularly bad gum pain and stopped sleeping as well as she had been. So I've been struggling with feeling particularly unwell and with sleep deprivation.

I've been having a hard time remembering why I found the Baby Voice so cute and charming before. I used to love all her sounds, so much that I'd call myself while I was playing with her and record her sounds on my voicemail so I could listen to them over and over again. Now... well, let's just say the Baby Voice seems to recognize one, and only one, level of urgency: extremely urgent. There is a particular high-pitched fussy screech Daisy makes that, well, I could live without hearing again. I have been trying to teach her new sounds, ones that emulate the kinds of noises you'd hear on a Relaxation tape: babbling brook, cows lowing, ocean waves lapping, gentle breeze stirring trees.... It will be a happy day in my life if Babbling Brook can be made to replace Urgent, High-Pitched Shriek.

It's kind of sad; over the last few weeks I've been making notes of things about Daisy I want to ask the pediatrican about, and today I glanced over the frighteningly long list and it did not paint the most flattering portrait of my daughter. It said, in no particular order:

"Fidgeting, moaning, drooling, fist-chomping, fussing, wiggling, constant eye-rubbing, irritability, not sleeping."

Well, I could also talk about the adorable little dimply smile and her new laugh (which sounds exactly like "HA!"), but I am too grumpy right now. Maybe some other time :-)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sari, I am sorry you're feeling so grumpy-ask the advice nurse if Daisy is too young for Baby Orajel. I can't remember when I first gave it to Hannah, but it can be helpful. And the Eggplant Picture will be awesome whenever you can post it

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, the eggplant picture will divert us whenever you post it. Slap the baby Orajel on ASAP. Do you have those icy teether thingies?

Can you have someone watch Daisy while you take an hour away from home, or can someone bundle her into a stroller and walk around for a while while you rest?

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you and Daisy both feel happier soon, and can get some rest.

I know the perfect Relaxation Tape that might cheer you both up. It has cows lowing, waves breaking on the shore, the works. ;o) Do you have a copy you can listen to?

9:56 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thanks, you guys! Sorry to sound so gloomy in that post. I have these passing moments. I REALLY want to try the baby Orajel but Kaiser said they don't recommend it. They didn't say it was positively BAD for her, though, just that they recommended I try other methods. Those other methods aren't working too well, so I think I'm going to at least check out the Baby Orajel. I'm not sure I followed why they weren't recommending it. I think I need to ask my pediatrician directly--sometimes I get different things from my pediatrician and from the advice nurses.

And Jenny: oh, how I wish I still had a copy of that glorious Relaxation tape! It was just so...relaxing. Wasn't it? :-)

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home