Thursday, January 11, 2007

We are moving (again)

I know it must seem insane that we are moving again after only about 9 months in this place. But...well, I guess if you've been reading this blog, you have an inkling as to why it's worth it. AND: we found a great place. In fact, I have to tell you how we found it.

We were driving around a neighborhood we have both always fancied, though it's remote and probably wouldn't seem appealing to all San Franciscans: the Sutro Heights neighborhood. This is waaaay out in the northwest part of the city; the park has the most sublime views of the Pacific Ocean. It's near the Cliff House and the Sutro Bathhouse ruins and Land's End, for you San Franciscans. You get there by taking Geary long past where it's busy. It keeps going and going and gets residential and then you get to the ocean.

Anyway, we were driving around there and we saw a beautiful apartment building, much like the one we used to live in on Cabrillo. It had a For Rent sign, and I said to Mark, "That's where I want to live. That's my new home." I called the number when we got home, and much to my surprise, someone answered (usually, it's hard to get a hold of the rental folks). He immediately told me that whatever apartment was for rent in that building had already been rented. I was disappointed.

But then he said, "Tell me what you're looking for and I'll see what else we have."

I said we had two cats, which usually ends the conversation right then and there, and that we needed a two-bedroom. He began describing what sounded like my dream apartment: a big, spacious 2-bedroom apartment, very cat-friendly, only a few blocks from the building I'd admired, with easy parking. He said it was about 1100 square feet (this one's about 650) and had been built in 1929 by an architect who had designed many of the Pacific Heights buildings. The address was 250 Point Lobos. He said to call him the next day and we'd arrange a time for us to see it (and he seemed extremely nice, which didn't hurt).

The next day I called him when he'd said to, and I got the machine. I called him a few more times during the day, each time becoming more dejected when I got the machine. By the end of the day, when I'd never heard back from him, I was convinced something had gone terribly wrong and that I was never going to see the apartment. Throughout the depressing evening I said to Mark, "Why can't I live at 250 Point Lobos?" Then, five minutes later, I would say, "Why aren't I good enough to live at 250 Point Lobos?" And, fifteen minutes later, "What went wrong? I was meant to live at 250 Point Lobos. It was my destiny." I said things of this nature all night long, including when we were in bed trying to go to sleep.

Okay, so I never figured out why the manager didn't call me back that day, but I called him again the next day and everything worked out fine. We saw the apartment and loved it-- it's a lot like our old Cabrillo place that we loved so much, except it's much bigger. It has hardwood floors and high ceilings and huge rooms. It doesn't have the beautiful Golden Gate Park view, of course, nor does it have an ocean view, because it's on the first floor; but we had wanted something on the first floor because both our moms were deeply unhappy about having to climb all the stairs in our current place and also in our Cabrillo place. And if you want to see the ocean, all you have to do is walk right out the door and there it is! It's at a reasonable rent (by San Francisco standards) and utilities and PG&E are included. I know being so far away from businesses wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I love this area and it's also right on the Geary bus line, which brings you everywhere.

Our managers let us out of our lease early, and we gave our 30 days notice. We are officially out of here and into the new place on Feb. 8, though I am trying not to get TOO excited because we haven't actually signed the lease yet. We have a verbal agreement with our new manager and we are supposed to sign the lease this weekend (we have already applied and been approved). Oh, the manager is such a nice man, too. I really liked him.

I am happy, but trying to keep a level head until we actually sign the lease. This place would be so great. I am being realistic: it's a drawback in some ways to not have things like stores and coffee houses and restaurants in easy walking distance. I know that was one advantage this place had. But in EVERY other way, the new place is better for us.

17 Comments:

Blogger Mita said...

Oh Sarah, I'm SOOO happy for you guys!!!! I mean, I don't want to speak TOO soon ... but it sounds like this place is yours. I always knew you deserved to live at 250 Point Lobos!! Hee.

Now I have an excuse to come visit!

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really exciting! I felt bad when I read your post about the evil neighbors, but it sounds like that debacle brought you to your dream home. Yay!

Linda J.

10:37 PM  
Blogger specules said...

I'm glad to hear this latest news. Sorry I didn't respond to your email in time. But you did the right thing. A few questions - is it rent controlled and all that good stuff? does it have the safety features (screens, fire escape) lacking in the old place? has lead paint been removed (it being an old building)? heat's included but does the heat work (was it warm when you visited)? is the water pressure good? are there enough 3-prong grounded outlets to work on your computers comfortably? what's the process for maintenance (the landlord directly or a bldg manager)? do you see any leaks?

Don't get me wrong. Sounds like you should take this place. And I know you've probably thought of this stuff already. But after those awful people in your current place, I just have to ask for my own peace of mind. (I pulled some of the questions from this site: http://www.rentalguide.com/moving.html)

11:05 PM  
Blogger lumenatrix said...

Not near businesses?? Walgreens and the butterfly store are right there! What could you need in a pinch that you can't get at one of those two places? Also, if I can walk to Walgreens you can walk to Poppa Opps. ;)

I'm so happy for yuze guys. Well, pending happy, until the lease is signed, right?

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me! glad it sounds so yummy, so packing and moving again won't seem so bad. We probably walked right by your new place when we were walking around in the Sutro Heights neighborhood last week! Definitely sounds more spacious and it is a lovely area. Maybe we could go down to that diner by the Sutro Baths sometime?

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrat Sarita! I am happy for you guys and can't wait to visit you in your new abode. Let me know if you need help packing etc. Go Debbie with helpful link and advice.

The AMD

9:54 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Sounds awesome, and living in a quiet part of the city seems like heaven... you sorta want that more when you have a little baby to protect from all the noises of the city (at least that's how I feel...maybe because I live on a street corner that is always ON 24-7)

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the neighbors?

5:51 PM  
Blogger Haddayr said...

I am SO glad you're getting out of that place with the insane neighbors and shitty landlord. I cannot tell you how glad I am.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Yeah! It's a really pretty place to live. I don't know about the neighbors, but the manager is absolutely wonderful. Hmmm. Well--one good thing is that there won't be any neighbors directly underneath us. That means the cats can run around, and when the baby walks, she can run around, and we won't be bothering anyone. And no one's loud music will emanate from below. But I haven't met anyone from the building yet, got to admit. That's one of the things that's so hard about moving into apartment buildings. You often feel like you didn't know who you were signing up to live with.

I cannot believe it, this is the THIRD time tonight the baby has woken up. This never happens. Dear God, a new phase. Must go.

9:36 PM  
Blogger arweena said...

oh wow. it's really neat out there. sutro heights is kinda mystical...

here's hoping it's an excellent change! :)

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Sarah! I am SO VERY happy for you! Your current place sounds just so dreadful. I can't wait to come up and see you and Daisy and go out to lunch.

What a wonderful change of events. Now you'll have a separate baby room or work office...how wonderful! I think being in the city, but outside the noise, traffic, congestion is divine! I think you will love it.

Anna

2:40 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

WOW. When I visited SF years ago, we took the bus to Land's End. I took a bunch of pictures. I was madly in love with it. There were barriers up, but our Local Guy said, "Oh, don't worry about those, nobody does," and we just walked right over them... Then I spent five months trying to convince myself I could afford to move.

I'm so pleased for you.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, congratulations guys!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Oh, thanks guys! And Meghan, it is nice to hear you are a fan of the area. I am used to San Franciscans saying, "How can you stand to live in such a foggy part of the city?" Which is funny, because Mark and I think it's sunny (we lived in Oregon for almost 6 years, after all). Anyway, it IS reallyreally beautiful. Hope you walked around the Sutro bath ruins, too, where a scene from _Harold and Maude_ was filmed....

7:52 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

PS
Beth, what is the butterfly store? I know about the Walgreen's, but not that. And, oh yeah, I'm totally going to walk to Poppa Opps and Chino's and the Balboa theatre and all the neat things in your neighborhood (which used to be mine, sniff sniff!). It'll just be a tad hilly on the way back, but I can do it, I think. I'm going to take the Balboa bus to work next semester, too.

7:56 PM  
Blogger lumenatrix said...

The butterfly store is the mom and pop shop at 39th and Geary. I have no idea what the name of it is, but they have a big ol' mural of a butterfly on the outside wall so I've always called it the butterfly store. The guy in there is so nice, you'll like him.

I agree with you on the foggy, I love the weather out here, maybe it was my two years in Arcata.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home