Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I am at work

It is my second day back at work (in a very part-time fashion, but still). My first day CRAPPED on me so we can only hope this one is better.

It is a strange feeling to be back at work. I feel as though I now lack social skills or something in that general arena for functioning in a work environment. I feel like I am not quite sure what to say to people or how to say it.

When I get home from work, I have to take care of the baby and pack for our big move on Saturday. Thank God my mother has been staying with us the last few days and helping us, or I don't think we'd have made it even this far. But she is leaving today.

For some reason, all I can think about is mastering the bus lines that run near our new place, which is decidedly more remote than our current one. The bus will be all the more necessary, because I'll be farther away from stuff, but it is also much more confusing in that multiple lines that look the same have different destinations, and take strange turns here and there, and make connections in places I'm not familiar with. I just went to the MUNI website and tried to fathom the maps and text that are meant to explain what the buses do to me, but I felt like the whole thing was written in a different language.

I don't think I got my left contact lens in quite right this morning. My left eye is doing weird things and I can't try to fix it because I don't have any lens solution with me.

What do you think of this ambiguous compliment/insult my co-worker paid me when she first saw me again on Monday?: "Look at you! You're already back to your pre-pregnancy weight!" Now, on the surface, that seems like a very kind compliment. But, as in reality I am nowhere NEAR my pre-pregnancy weight, it could also suggest that I was never very thin to begin with. I don't feel insulted, just curious. I think there is a real art to coming up with genuinely, unsolvably ambiguous things to say to people and I sort of admire this remark.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She may also be not very observant--or you may have been wearing quite flattering clothes that day.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home