Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Today Daisy hurt my feelings

Yes. I can hardly believe I'm saying it. She is only 6 months old and it's started already. I was away from her, for the first time in her life, for two mornings this week, and I can only guess that maybe THAT had something to do with it...or maybe this is just the beginning of her hurting my feelings, over and over again, for the rest of my life. Experienced parents, do tell.

I came home from work, as on Monday, absolutely dying to see her. I burst through the door, shouting out her name, beaming upon her, and...she barely glanced at me. I tried to get her attention and I couldn't. She kept her eyes fixed on Grandma Susie, who has been looking after her a lot lately since I've been going back to work and we've been busy with the move. Not only would Daisy not look at me, but she also cried (briefly) when I pinched her cheeks (okay, maybe a tad too aggressively, because she was pissing me off). She kept looking and smiling at Grandma Susie and ignoring me completely.

When Grandma Susie left I told Daisy how rottenly she had behaved toward me. I told her how hard I worked all day, all for her, and how everything I do now, in life, is for her. And that was what I got in return! She was lying on the floor babbling away, "dadadada" and all that jazz, and grabbing her feet. I told her I was not going to lift a finger to entertain her, since she was so ungrateful and cold. She would just have to take care of herself for the rest of the day.

Two seconds later I decided to give her one more chance. I did some silly voices and sounds and she immediately smiled at me. Then she laughed, and I caved in the rest of the way and decided to devote myself entirely to her again. The manipulative little minx.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky Daisy, to have a mother with a great sense of humor!

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found that when my son was a baby, he was often fairly indifferent to my goings and comings. I decided to take this as a positive sign that he was happy with the people I had trusted to care for him, so I did not have to feel guilty for leaving him -- see, there are always ways to twist these things to the positive! Really, this is much better than watching her cry when you leave and rush to you in relief and desperation when you return -- that will probably come when she's older, so be warned!

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home