Wednesday, July 16, 2008

No room for error

I have mentioned before, I know, that Daisy has an astounding memory for song lyrics and books (and everything, actually). Well, today she amazed me anew! She (unfortunately) has a great love for hearing me sing the kinds of songs that build and build and add things on endlessly-- like, for instance, "The Green Grass Grew All Around," which she calls "There Was A Tree." You know this kind of song; you say the limb was on the tree, and the tree was in a hole, and the hole was in the ground, and the green grass grew all around, all around... then you add on, so a branch was on the limb, and the limb was on the tree, and the tree was in a hole, and the hole was in the ground... and then a twig was on the branch, and the branch was on the limb, and etc etc etc.

I was singing this song to Daisy today and I grew tired, as I often do, that I accidentally repeated a verse. I sang the flea verse twice: the flea was on the feather, and the feather was on the bird, and the bird was on the egg, and the egg was in the nest.... blah blah blah. I realized almost immediately that I'd made a mistake and was singing the "flea" verse twice, and it surprised me that Daisy didn't correct me with something like "No, no, the hair was on the flea!" But she didn't say anything for a few seconds, and I thought, well, she's not quite as attuned and memorize-y as I thought she was.

Then she said, "Mama, there were two fleas. There were TWO fleas!" I really love that. Instead of seeing the repetition as a mistake, she just decided there were two fleas on the bird's feather this time around. That is creative and cool, I think.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mita said...

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly! That was my favorite one when I was a kid.

And, wow, little one knows her math. too!!

9:01 AM  
Blogger arweena said...

daisy is already thinking outside the box.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Heh. Thanks, guys! And, hey yeah, I hadn't thought of that, Mita! That means she can COUNT, too!

That old lady who swallowed a fly song is so dark, like a lot of kids' songs are, strangely enough. Don't all the verses end, "Perhaps she'll die?" I am not surprised that Gothic Mita was drawn to it....
:-)

1:22 PM  
Blogger Mita said...

Oh my god, you're right! And the very last line, once she swallows the horse, is "She's dead of course!"

Makes you not want to be an old lady. You either eat a lot of animals, or you live in a shoe and have lots of children.

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home