Monday, November 10, 2008

I need to cut back on my use of exclamation points

I have no problem seeing what's objectionable about them, aesthetically speaking. But for some reason, I keep exclaiming. Unless I take the time to go back and proofread something I've written carefully (which I don't always do, for shame), I am bound to have sent someone something chock full of melodramatic, gushy exclamation points. I hate it. !

I should be going to work now, instead of blogging. I am the worst procrastinator, exclamation point. I am so tired. Daisy was up at 6 AM today and she's been doing this since the daylight savings change. Before it, she was getting up at 7:30. Wahhhhh.

We had an okay morning, though. I gave her a bath and she instructed me to draw "boobies" all over the bathtub with her bathtub crayons. She also told me to draw a hand with fingernails, and then to make it HAPPY (meaning I had to draw a smiling face on the hand). It was kinda weird. Then, she spent a big portion of the morning in solo imaginative play, which has really dramatically increased over the last month or so. She will spend hours pretending something now. Today, it was that she was cooking in a pot (her plastic pumpkin from Halloween). She was making "sweet potatoes, cake, cookies, spaghetti, and chocolate bats." Doesn't that sound delicious? And she was going to share it with Liza Lou (a character in one of her favorite books). She narrated the cooking process to herself, mumbling on and on, and it was pretty funny to listen to. She had mixed together in the pot all different kinds of Play Doh, crayons, Play Doh tools, Play Doh containers, and a few toys. It looked scrumptious.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mita said...

Um. I think you meant to write: "boobies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And I've found myself overusing ??? these days. It's like my way of passively saying something emphatic so as not to have to take too much responsibility for it, even when it's not a question:

You should have told him off???
I am going to finish my article????
This is the last straw???

Sigh.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.. where they talk about Elaine use of exclamations points :)

AMD

8:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Mita: Heh heh heh. ?????

AMD: You're right! Of course! (See what I mean?) There were two Seinfeld episodes... I think both had to do with Elaine. She disliked "Top of the Muffin to You!" and wanted to eliminate the exclamation mark. And then, wasn't there another one where she was editing a book and inserted a lot of exclamation points, just to piss off the writer?

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home