Monday, March 02, 2009

State of the Daisy at two and a half

This is going to be one of those interminable, boring posts that can only interest a mother (or father). You are hereby warned!

I haven't written one of these in a long time--I guess because Daisy is not a baby anymore. At some point in her development, it stopped seeming crucial to chart all the developments and phases. Time takes on a different feeling after awhile, as anyone with an older child knows; first you count the days, then you count by weeks, then months. And then... your child is two, and the exact age starts seeming a little blurry. You don't mark all the milestones anymore. But I think one day I'll want to read what she was like at two and a half. As with all the earlier phases, this one will grow fuzzy in my memory, I'm sure--even though it doesn't seem possible right now. So let's get it down so I can look back at it later.

So far, I would report that the twos are not terrible. There have been some trying moments (as in the day that I posted about a little while ago, the terrible day at the playground!). But the truth is, that day was an exception--hence my intense need to blog about it. In most ways, I think this age has been more fun and pleasurable than any earlier age. It's so great that she can communicate her thoughts and ideas to me clearly, and we can do so many activities together. We have so many laughs, and it is really fun to be with her. She is happy most of the time, and the most fun thing in my life right now is to see her laughing and cavorting.

Daisy's definitely been showing some new characteristics in the last few months. Most to my surprise, in her music class she suddenly emerged as this outgoing, independent, participatory kid. We had taken the class together before and Daisy pretty much stayed back as an observer. I remember friends from my moms' groups calling her "the observer," in fact. But then, around the age of two, she started changing. Now, when she's comfortable in a setting, she will be very outgoing. She doesn't stay close to me, sitting on my lap; she runs around the room, runs up to the teacher, talks and talks to him, tells him about her day, eagerly answers questions, etc. It has been startling for me. Who is this little girl?

She is potty trained, as I reported in earlier posts. This has been going really well thus far-- no backslidings yet, though I know it's still a possibility. It was a surprisingly quick and painless process. At this point, she seems to tell us whenever she needs to pee or poop, she does both in the potty, and hasn't had an accident in a long time--though again, I know she will, and that's fine. But I'm very proud of her for how she's handled the process so far.

Verbally, she continues to astound us. Today after music class, in fact, the teacher of the class after ours approached me to say how amazed she was by Daisy's talking--how much she had to say to Seth, our music teacher. There Daisy was, waiting around after class, monopolizing his attention, going on and on and on! (This is not how I remember being at all; I remember being shy and withdrawn, having a hard time addressing teachers even when I wanted to.) This other teacher commented to me on how much Daisy had to say, how clear her pronunciation is, and how long her sentences are. I am not sure how to describe her verbal facility at this point, because I just think of her as fully "there" now--a fully conversant being with whom I have complete conversations. This has been true for awhile now, too. She continues to show us, too, that she has a phenomenal memory--for books, songs, for remembering little details we mention to her. When we talk, now, she wants to be in on it, making it hard for us to have "adult" conversations at the dinner table. She'll interrupt us, saying, "What are you talking about it?" and demanding to be included.

She is also able to sing a large number of songs now. She has been singing a lot of simple songs for ages now (songs like the ABCs, Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, and the Eensy Weensy Spider), and in addition to that, she now carries a tune fairly well. She can "sing" most of the music from the Nutcracker, humming or saying "doo doo doo" for the notes, and the music comes out recognizably.

In terms of gross motor skills, she is still somewhat slower than other kids her age.
She does most of the things they do, but more slowly, more cautiously. She loves to run and jump, but she's not as fast, and she'll be slower and more careful on the stairs. She loves dancing! She's got some great moves, too, if I dare say so.

More to come (a work in progress)....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to add to the record--last week Daisy had her doctor kit out, and she took the giant needle out and gave me a shot. I said, "Ouch!" Tears filled her eyes. I had to explain for some time that I had been pretending.

Gompy

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home