Thursday, June 18, 2009

Synesthesia?

Daisy hadn't mentioned the colors of songs in awhile, but just now she asked Mark and me to put on her Monkees CD and she said, "My favorites are the purple ones." We were baffled for a moment, and then she explained, "Mary Mary and I'm Not Your Stepping Stone. Those are the purple ones." Like it was the most obvious thing in the world!

We asked her a few more questions, and she told us that "I'm a Believer and "I Want to Be Free" are blue. Mark tells me that those songs are both in the same key (and that the purple ones are both in a minor key), so... is it possible there's some system running underneath these observations?? Maybe, or maybe these are just coincidences. But, anyway, it's interesting.

6 Comments:

Blogger specules said...

So very cool!

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daisy was telling me the colors of songs the other day. Also, she's so observant! She was going through my credit cards and mentioned that one of the cards was my "restaurant card". We ate there once and I gave the waitress my credit card and my restaurant card (for reward points). Also, I was trying to find the cut of the Blue Danube Waltz on a CD with lots of stuff and she said, "It's number 7, Gommy". M.B.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. While "correcting" a story recently she said that the character was "ostracized and had a sensitive contest". M.B.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Haddayr said...

Wow. That is really interesting.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know I have synethsia, right? i wrote about it in my blog a long time ago - Ron was the one who told me about it. I didn't know it existed.

It has kind of mellowed out a bit with age/marriage? but I guess it runs in the family...

~Anna

3:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Yes! I do remember that, Anna, and actually I've been thinking of you when I write about Daisy's possible synesthesia. I would love to hear more about it sometime.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home