Monday, February 08, 2010

The latest

I have not been good about posting! It makes me sad when I look back at the baby years and realize how much more diligent I was back then.

Daisy continues to be a delight in most ways, but she's definitely been going through a rough patch lately. I would state unequivocally that three has been harder than two. I don't think she ever really had "terrible twos," but as a three-year-old, she has been setting her will against us more and more and giving us a hard time when there's something she doesn't want to do... namely, go to bed. She had not given us any trouble in this department in a long time, but all of a sudden, it bubbled back up again. She was saying she was scared of the dark and of monsters, but that seems not to be it, really; we started letting her sleep with the light on, and it did not improve the situation at all. Then, tonight, she was screaming and crying hysterically that she wanted her daddy to stay in her room with her. We tried to tough it out, but it was just too hard-- so I came up with the idea of having her sleep in her travel bed on the floor of our room. She instantly cheered up. We set her up there, and she went to sleep. No problem. So: what this proves is that she was not so scared of the dark, of being alone, or of monsters... because she went to sleep alone, in a room actually darker than her own. All she needed was the concept that it was Mama and Dada's room. We'll have some more figuring out to do on this one.

Other than the sleeping issue, Daisy has been doing pretty well lately. She greatly enjoyed Rachel and Hannah's visit and was elated to introduce Hannie to her teachers and show her her classroom today. Every day she seems to me to be growing ever more mature, grown up, compassionate, and thoughtful. Her preschool teachers told Mark in a recent conference that she is blossoming at school, and I've noticed that more and more artwork appears in her folder (showing that she's doing more stuff, not just reading books the whole time). Now, when I take her to school she says she wants me to read her a few books and then she'll show me "a work" she is doing (that's what they call it in Montessori). This is fairly new--eagerness to do something other than read books together. She is starting to cut with scissors--a fine motor skill that has continued to elude her all these years! And she is eager to try new physically daring tasks at the playground.

I still have the OT appointment for her this Friday. I'm sure I'll post on how it goes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home