Sunday, May 16, 2010

Random Mothering Note

I am probably jinxing myself bigtime by writing this, but I will anyway: today I was thinking that an almost-four-year-old seems to be easier, and possibly MUCH easier, than a three-year-old. Not that I am complaining. Daisy never had any terrible twos, and she never had a "tantrum phase." She had a few tantrums in her life, but they were always isolated incidents rather than regular occurrences. But some of the threes have been challenging, I think because she started realizing she could defy us and argue with us and make counter-points, etc. Lately, however, she seems almost...reasonable. It's eerie. I have a good feeling about four.

Also, I have to tell this brief anecdote. Daisy has taken a shine to the band Mr. Big (yes, that's right, and laugh if you must, but I find her taste extremely excellent). She sometimes pretends that Eric Martin, the lead singer of Mr. Big, is with her, and she converses with him. She also likes Wham and pretends that George Michael is with her. Anyway, the other day I said I was going to go change my clothes and she said, "Can I come with you and watch?" Yes, of course, I said. We went in my room and I started changing. She said, "Eric Martin, would you like to watch my mommy change her clothes?" She also informed me, "George Michael is on the bed, watching."

Yesterday I thought it was funny that Daisy invited Eric Martin and George Michael to watch me change my clothes. Today it suddenly dawned on me that what was funny was actually my response, which was to instantly say, "No, Daisy! Tell Eric Martin he is NOT going to watch Mommy change her clothes and he has to leave right away!" I didn't even hesitate; I was just too horrified that Daisy's invisible friends were invading my privacy.

I am buying into Daisy's invisible friend world just a little too much. I need more fresh air or something.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for guiding me to this update of the little baby I knew oh such a long 4 years ago. I also caught her on YouTube talking on the phone...yes, she is VERY verbally skilled!! Love, Diana

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home