Saturday, May 06, 2006

New cell phone and updates

First, and less important: I have a cell phone again, with the same number as before. This time I had to pay for it, and I got the least snazzy and most affordable one. No fancy phone camera for me this time :-(

Second, Mark and I went to USF's annual end-of-year dinner tonight, held this year not on campus but in the Imperial Ballroom of Japantown’s Miyako Hotel. The yearly university dinner is usually a verrrrry tedious affair replete with mediocre food and hours of people you don’t know being praised and awarded for bringing good press and funding to the university; without being able to take advantage of the free bar, and anticipating my chronic rib pain acting up over the hours, the prospect of the evening was extreeeemely daunting to me. But this time, to everyone’s somewhat surprise, Mark’s program was awarded the college's first-ever “Collective Achievement” award by the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences! Dean Turpin made a very gracious speech and called each of the program’s full-time faculty members up to the podium by name, where they received a heavy glass statue award that looked like an Emmy or a Grammy or something along those lines. I felt very proud of Mark, who has had a lot to do with shaping the direction of his program, as the Director of Curriculum.

I was left sitting at the table, now vacated by all the faculty who’d gone up to accept the award. I was content as a clam, but to my surprise a kindly middle-aged waiter approached me with concern. He said, “You are not a teacher?”, wondering why I wasn’t up there accepting the award and basking in glory, too. I said, lamely, “I am, but….” I trailed off, finding it too difficult to explain the whole part-time/full-time distinction and not wanting to talk too much while the dean was talking. The kindly waiter said, “I’ll bring you another dessert.”

He brought me two: a chocolate mousse _and_ a lemon tart.

So I ate three desserts, and I also stole an extra roll (slipped it in my purse).

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the yearly Christmas party for not just NY1, but all Time Warner Cable employees. Us NY1ers usually spend it judging the "Which employee on the Cable side is wearing the most hideous outfit" contest.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Hee hee hee!
I am not too much of a "big fancy dinner" person and so need to relieve some of the stress for myself through silliness, too....

9:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thank you, Bianca! :-)

9:00 AM  
Blogger specules said...

Glad your mobile talking situation is back on track, not that it's the most important thing and half the time you want to ignore calls anyway (at least I do...). But it's nice to know you can call in case of emergencies.

Congratulations to Mark! That's great! Recognition for a job well done. And Sarah, we know you should have been up there if fate hadn't been stupid. But perhaps it's a blessing in disguise as you would have had to walk up and down to and from the elevated stage and any extra motion at this point sounds like a lot of work. :-) Plus, you got the tasty awards.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

I am the same way, Deb--not a big phone person. I could never understand why people got cell phones, since it seemed like one of the benefits of walking away from home was *not* being accessible by phone. It seems like kind of a bad thing to *always* be accessible, doesn't it? But, well, I don't HAVE to answer my phone, and I can leave it turned off...etc. At this point, having lost two phones in a week, I think I would have given up on having a cell phone, except for the pregnancy. It makes me think it'd be a good idea to have a phone with me in case of emergencies 'n' stuff.
Oh yeah, and long road trips-- it's good to have a cell phone on those. Man. There's no going back, is there? Once you've had a cell phone, it's hard to imagine not having one, even if you don't use it very often.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad the dinner went well, was halfway entertaining, and Mark got a shiny trophy to take home! Congrats. (and yes, hope you enjoyed your personal dessert bar as well!). Do like your black dress, very slinky!

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please give Mark my congratulations! I'm glad he's getting some recognition considering the number of administrative headaches he's endured in the few years he's been working there. Oh, and on the adjunct alternate compensation front, stealing diced cheese from the buffet is also acceptable....

8:58 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thanks, Bill! Oh, I think Mark likes his job, overall. There was a period of adjustment, and there are always frustrations at any job, but I think (speaking for him, always risky) that he feels lucky to have this job... there are so many good things about it, not least of all the people. We both really like our co-workers and work environment. (I mean, there are days at any job when you just don't want to be there, but I am well aware of how lucky I am, 95% of the time!)

11:27 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thank you, Katherine! I am so glad I've had opportunities to wear the black fancy maternity dress: to Arwen's movie premiere, to one of Mark's shows, and then to the USF dinner. I would have felt silly buying a fancy maternity dress and then hardly getting to wear it.

Maybe I'll post a pic or two from yesterday--my cousin's baby's first birthday party. I tried to get some pregnant shots there, too, so I now have *some* record of what it all looked like (in two different outfits).

11:29 AM  
Blogger Mita said...

Oh man. Chocolate mousse and a lemon tart!

Congratulations Mark! That's awesome ... and well-deserved.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home