Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Point Reyes and Doom

Mark and I had a very lovely visit to Point Reyes yesterday. We stopped in Fairfax, which is on the way, and had lunch. As we were perambulating along the sidewalk, a man with two adorable little kids happened to pass. He said, with absolutely no preface, "You are DOOMED!! You are soooo DOOMED! You are DOOMED!" Yeah. He said it, like, three or four times. I instantly knew what he meant, but Mark had a moment of complete existential consternation, not immediately grasping why this seemingly normal-looking stranger thought we were doomed.

So I give that strange man the prize for the oddest thing said to me by a stranger since I became visibly pregnant. Most people just beam at me, or stare with something like disgust, or say, "It's a boy!"

Point Reyes was totally gorgeous. We decided to drive all the way out to the lighthouse, but then got our knickers in a twist because the road seemed to go on and on and on and on, and I had to pee, as pregnant people often do, and there were no signs to tell us how much longer. We made it all the way, but the road to the lighthouse was closed and there was no parking outside the gate, which would have enabled us to get out and WALK in, so we drove to one of the Point Reyes beaches. We walked along in the sand, and then fell in it, and I felt very beached-whale-like. We had a great conversation about the mortal terrors of the ocean. Also, I tried to dip my hand in the surf and instead got smacked down by it. That'll teach me! What hubris, to think you can sidle right up to the ocean and then precisely determine the boundaries of the relationship.

The theme of the trip was Beauty and Doom. The ocean is beautiful, but I just don't see how anyone can look at it and not think about Doom.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, it's possible that this man was simply quoting lines from Trey Parker and Matt Stone's _Cannibal: the Musical_....

1:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Ha! How could I forget? My dear, dear "Cannibal"... "you are doomed...you are ALL doooomed!!"

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does seem particularly humorous (in a dry sort of way) considering he had the two little kids with him! Like the way Mark probably thought the guy was a nutter or something, not immediately connecting his comments with your belly! definitely an unusual statement. I hope he meant it in good humour! Think we have been watching too much Fawlty Towers lately but I can see the John Cleese character rudely (and therefore comically) saying that to a pregnant guest!

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Sarah, out here in PA it's looking to be a particularly shpadoinkle day. The sky is blue, and all the leaves are green....

Please reference

www.cannibalthemusical.net

for more nuttiness in this line if you need a fix.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Happy shpadoinkle day, Bill! It's not as shpadoinkle here... a tad gray outside.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

I used to rent all the Fawlty Towers and Monty Python episodes and watch them religiously. This man was no John Cleese, but he was certainly taking a run at amateur comedian extraordinaire. It was very odd, since his children looked totally cute and well-behaved. Perhaps "looked" is the operative word!

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason you just reminded me of Eddie Izzard. He does a bit where he's performing in Memphis, and some southern guy comes up to him and says, "You British? You British? Talk British to my kids!"

1:42 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Hey, wow, Katherine just mentioned Eddie Izzard to me in a comment on my "Neglected Blog" post... and I don't know who he is! But I noticed you have a link for him on your blog, Matt, so I shall read about him and learn....

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's a British transvestite standup comedian, whose best special ("Dress to Kill") is not only available on DVD, but was also shot in San Francisco.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Ann Marie Donahue said...

great blog moment! Did he say it with a smile on his face or just with no expression? Perhaps a bit of dry humor. no matter what an odd comment for sure to a total stranger!!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Hi AMD! Hmmm, not sure what the facial expression was... but he was definitely engaging in some dark humor. His cherubic daughter was sitting happily aboard his shoulders. It IS funny what people say to you when you're pregnant, though. I should have been keeping a log. Yesterday a random stranger came up and told me I was beautiful :-) So it's nice some of the time!

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home