Monday, May 07, 2007

Girl's 9-month appointment



This appointment was rather uneventful. She didn't have to get vaccines, which was a nice change of pace--so there was nothing traumatic to brace ourselves for. She weighs 17 pounds, 2 ounces and is just over 27 inches long. It's odd, because she looks perfectly average to me--average height and average weight--but her percentiles were down again. This time, her weight was in the 15th percentile and her height was in the 30th percentile. It's puzzling to me; I just can't imagine that 85% of babies her age weigh more and 70% are taller. She does not look stumpy or shrimpy or skinny at all to me, and in fact, sometimes people tell me how BIG she is (though this just may be their ignorance about how big babies her age tend to be--it is shocking how far off base people are sometimes in guessing her age). Anyway, those percentiles are the reality check. The doctors weren't worried at all, nor are they the least bit concerned that every time we go in, her percentiles are lower than before.

And here's another thing: the explanation they keep giving me makes no sense. They say, "Oh, don't worry about it, it's totally normal for babies her age to be slipping in percentiles! I see babies all the time at their 9-month checkup whose percentiles have dropped. It's really normal for this age, when babies are more active, etc etc etc." Now, I may be an English major, and I am certainly no Einstein Junior, but I do think I understand what a percentile means. If it were true that ALL or MOST of the babies her age were slipping at the same rate, then her percentiles wouldn't be lower. They would be the same. See? Yeah. Percentile means "compared to other babies her age, she is smaller." Or larger. So that explanation from the doctors frustrates me. It makes no sense.

But they are not worried that every single checkup, her percentiles have yet again gotten lower-- so I guess I should try not to be worried either. Again, when I look at her, she looks normal. She doesn't look short, and she doesn't look skinny. (And she doesn't look tall, or fat. Hence my sense that she is average, which the percentiles apparently contradict!)

She doesn't crawl yet, and they weren't worried about that, either. I explained that most of the babies we know crawled at 7 and a half months. The doctors were shocked and one of them said, "That's too early!" (Can a baby crawl too early??) This confuses me. Is it possible that Daisy is surrounded by baby prodigies? If so, then she is surrounded by MANY baby prodigies, because most of the babies we know are crawling right past her. I have to believe it's perfectly normal to crawl at 7 and a half months. But Daisy doesn't crawl yet. She has no teeth yet. She has a bunch of spots in her diaper area that I've been concerned about, but which the doctors say are not a yeast infection (my guess). In fact, they say they are nothing but hyperpigmentation and will go away on their own someday, and that I shouldn't worry. They weren't worried about anything!

They asked me if Daisy pulls herself up to a standing position, and I said no. Now, if I place her on her legs, she can support herself, holding on to me or to the side of the couch, but she makes no attempt to pull herself up when she is sitting, and she doesn't try taking steps or cruising (another question they asked me). She likes to sit, babbling and examining objects; or, if she wants to go somewhere, she is happy to roll there instead of try to crawl. She does quite a bit of rolling.

So, in short: my baby is a stumpy, shrimpy, spotty, no-crawl, no-teeth baby, and apparently, to be all these things at 9 months is perfectly normal. Yay!

14 Comments:

Blogger Mita said...

What they didn't tell you is that as far as cute-osity goes, Daisy is in the 100th percentile. SOOOO cute!!!!

Buttons. BUTTONS!!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I found an article that explains the percentile reasoning...I always wondered about it because Britin was always in the high percentiles--like 90 percent in both. He is average height now and pretty slender, but normal, for his age--he didn't grow into a giant. Btw, Britin wasn't a big crawler either--he just sat or rolled and then decided to walk. You had to watch him when doing diapers because in the midst of changing him he might roll...yuck!Anyway, maybe you can find comfort in the article: http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babydevelopment/5251.html

10:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

ERRGH!

http://www.babycenter.com/
refcap/baby/babydevelopment/
5251.html

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, when it comes to height and weight, there's such a wide range of normal, I wouldn't get hung up on a number. If she's eating fine, active, happy, and generally healthy-looking, that's really what matters.

For what it's worth, Celia was the same height and weight at age 2 that she was at age 1. Then she sprouted up all at once.

Charlie, on the other hand, was the size of a tank when he came out, and has yet to stop growing. He is currently more than 7 feet tall, weighing approximately 400 pounds, and he's only 18 months old.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So more babies are fat slugs than Daisy is. Really, I've seen them. Little rolls all over the place--junior michelin kids. My poopsie is short & skinny too--except after she's eaten, and then she looks like she's about to go into labor.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Haddayr said...

I am laughing at what Marguerite just wrote. Éiden also looks like he's about to go into labor when he's finished eating.

Okay. Here's the thing. I cannot remember for the LIFE of me when the kids did anything, except for Arie now because they keep asking us, so I checked his baby books. I do know this: percentiles are different from percentaGES.

You see what I mean? So, 7,000,000 babies could be a single ounce heavier than Daisy, and they'd be ahead of her on the percentile chart.

I hate those things, although a friend of mine whose kids fell off the charts completely used them to get hormone injections for them, so yay for her. Otherwise, BAD percentiles! BAD!

Also, Daisy sounds like a remarkably calm and content little kid. If she's not frustrated and grasping for things, she'll pull herself up when she feels the calm and cheerful urge to do so, right?

Anyway as someone else said oh the cute.

Also, FWIW: Arie was always way ahead of everyone on the charts (except for weight, I confess) and look where it got him. Seriously.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

I didn't show ANY interest in going ANYWHERE on my own steam when I was a baby. My mom despaired of my ever learning to walk--I eventually did, but I was well over a year old.

I don't think that experience had any ill effects, though the delay in my shoelace-tying skills was a little traumatic. "Velcro" was invented just in time.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Meg-- that is good to hear. Maybe Mark is right-- he keeps trying to convince me non-crawling is a sign of intelligence! :-)

9:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Hah! I am laughing at what Marguerite wrote, too. The odd thing is that Daisy doesn't appear particularly short and skinny to me. I don't get the 15th percentile thing. That means 85% of babies her age weigh more than she does. That must mean there are some huge babies out there... except, of course, for Haddayr's point (that they could weigh just an ounce more and be in a higher percentile... I guess it depends on how they compute the percentiles--how great the weight difference has to be to be significant. It seems like these categories would be even more useless than they already seem to be if a piddling difference of an ounce raises you up a percentile). Who knows. All I know is, Daisy looks perfectly average to me and my mom says she looks like "a chub" (which I didn't really appreciate).

9:39 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Ha! Charlie is 7 feet tall :-)

9:49 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thank you, Melissa! I am checking out the site now.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Thank you, Mita!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Okay, I just checked out that site, Melissa-- and see, that's the exact reason I was concerned. It says your doctor will be concerned if your baby's growth takes a significant dip, like from the 50th to the 15th percentile. That is exactly what happened to Daisy, but the doctors were not concerned. She was in the 75th percentile, roughly, for height and weight; at her next appointment, the 50th; now, the 15th. I don't understand why they're not concerned :-(

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home