Friday, June 22, 2007

Brief Update

It seems like I don't have much time to write blog posts lately, but I at least wanted to write a brief update before I leave for my parents' house this weekend. We had a great time seeing friends in Seattle. We saw Chris and Erin and their brand new charmer, Leo, Vade and Stephanie and their due-date twin of Daisy, the charismatic Ona, and Amy and David and Adele, who is so well-spoken that I kept forgetting she wasn't even three yet. It is such a meaningful thing to me to see old friends and their kids that I don't know how to put it into words without getting trite. These are people that I've known for so many years, and in completely different times of our lives (times when it seemed unimaginable we'd ever be parents). Things are very different now, of course, and there are certain things that don't happen now when we get together, but I kept thinking, "I like things now. I like the way they are right now." And, "I like being a grownup." I'm sure I won't feel that way all the time, and I'm not trying to say I don't have any youth left in me, but I like the fact that the responsibility button is now pretty much turned on in my head all the time, blinking quietly in the background regardless of what I'm doing. I like being Daisy's mama. I hope I don't make anyone throw up with this post.

The amount of driving we did was rather insane. Seattle is about 14 hours from San Francisco by car, and we had divided up the driving into seven-hour segments. So, on the first day, we drove 7 hours and spent the night in Grants Pass. Next morning, we drove another 7 hours to Seattle. We spent 3 nights at Chris and Erin's (who are, I have to say, the kindest people in the world to have hosted us that whole time, while caring for their new baby), and then did the whole thing over again. Counting traffic and other delays, Daisy probably spent about 30 hours in the car over a period of 5 days. That's a crazy thing to do to an 11-month-old, but she handled it beautifully. Needless to say, there are certain baby CDs that we heard so many times in the car that the thought of hearing them again makes me want to jump off a cliff; but that is a small price to pay for your baby being so patient and enduring on a car trip you signed her up for without her knowledge or permission. I think she enjoyed Seattle, though. She liked being around the other kids and was perfectly cheerful the whole time we were there, except at night (hahahahaaha). She did win the battle of wills on that one and succeeded in sleeping just one night in her Pack and Play. The other nights, she started out in the Pack and Play but ended up in bed with us later. Did I mention she was also recovering from being sick the whole time we were there and had terrible struggles breathing at night? She was a trooper.

There is a lot more I could say about Seattle, and I dearly hope it would have been less trite than what I've written so far, but I have to go now. More soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home