Monday, May 21, 2007

First video of Daisy--in Spanish

Remember, long ago, how I told you that our birth announcements for Daisy came back printed in Spanish? (And blue for a boy, with the wrong time of birth, no picture of the baby, and a cross on them?)

Well, today we got our very first video of Daisy back from Long's Drugs--they converted the video footage to a DVD--and the soundtrack was entirely in Spanish. [I owe the Gosses an eternity of gratitude for this footage, by the way--I hadn't thought I wanted a video camera at the hospital, but I am so glad now. There is no footage of the baby being born, of course, but the video captured her first few minutes in the world, and the moment she was handed to me in my hospital bed, and then the first few weeks of her life.]

On the video, Daisy's few first moments and then weeks of life are accompanied by a soundtrack of a Spanish-speaking family having a riotous time at a picnic. I don't speak Spanish, but I was able to infer a thing or two from the loud squeak of swings and the incessant sound of car alarms going off. Also, from what very little Spanish I do know, I was able to deduce that a little boy named Alejandro was misbehaving and that the kids were clamoring for melon. It seems as though the family had a great time at the picnic, as it is a very noisy and boisterous soundtrack, and a male voice can be heard calling out for more beer.

Somewhere out there in the universe, there is a video of a Latin American family at a picnic, cavorting to the sound of a Jewish grandma's voice croakily singing "Hava Nagila" and other assorted Hebrew songs. Yes, that's right-- I made my mother sing ALL her Hebrew songs for the camera, and it goes on and on and on. And on. I really wish I could see that other video. It must be amazing.

EDIT
One thing that came out strangely appropriately: the video shows Mark's first few moments with Daisy, while I was still being repaired in the OR, and on the soundtrack a little child's voice is squeaking, "Te quiero mucho, papa!" So, yeah, the soundtrack kinda works, in places....

3 Comments:

Blogger specules said...

Uh...wtf? You need to be joking. Please tell me you still have the original video and could get it digitized properly somewhere?

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bizarro! so does this mean that Daisy is destined to become a Spanish speaker? So many other languages out there, and it's en espanol both times! Sounds like a fascinating mix tape (on both ends!). Hope you are both able to get the problem fixed, so you can have two versions, the simply wacky Goss-tape and the exotic Gossita tape!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Hey! Yes, I still have the original and I am sooooo going to make them do it over. I just hope they let me keep the Spanish-speaking version, too.

Deb, I think I might be an idiot... I think maybe it IS possible for me to link my camera directly to my computer and have the images on there, without any conversion process. (However, in the case of the Spanish-speaking video, it was filmed on someone else's camera and the tape doesn't fit in my camera, so I had to do it this way.)

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home