Saturday, June 07, 2008

State of the Daisy (22 months)

This morning Daisy did something new: she came over, took my book away (INTO THIN AIR by Jon Krakauer--so good that I would have read it cover to cover without pausing if I could have), handed it to Mark, and said primly, "Thank you." Thinking it might have been a fluke, I picked up the book again, and Daisy immediately did the same thing. Lately, you see, she doesn't like that my attention should be diverted from her for ONE SECOND. What I find funny is that she assumes Mark will be her willing co-conspirator in this.

Daisy's Mama fixation seems fairly intense these days. I can't sneak away from her for very long at all if we are in the apartment together; if I retreat to my room for a few minutes (while Mark is watching her, of course), she soon appears, staring plaintively into my eyes and saying, "Take off Mama's bed! Take off Mama's bed!" Then a smile slides over her face as I start to get down: "Mama's taking off her bed!" Sheer delight. In the morning she says happily, "Mama's got her coffee! Mama's taking off her bed!" She totally understands what coffee is all about. Oh, how Mama hates to take off her bed after a rocky night (which last night was).

I should state, for the record, that "take off Mama's bed" is one of Daisy's very few errors of this kind. She is usually eerily precise in her wording of things and in her pronunciation. That's one of her few peculiarities in expression, along with "jamamas" for "pajamas." Most of the time she's uncannily accurate. She continues to say things that amaze us and make us laugh.

This is a pretty demanding and intense phase she's in. Lately her aesthetic preferences are stronger than ever. She asks for the same Shirley Temple song to be played over and over and over again, instead of allowing us to simply play the album through (which she was doing a few weeks ago). There are particular parts of Teletubbies that she wants to rewind and watch over and over again. And if we're out in the world and she takes a fancy to some spot or activity, she wants to stay there perpetually, repeating the action over and over again. (For instance, anything that involves splashing or stomping in a puddle, or standing in a notch in a tree, is a winner and can go on for hours.) I certainly hope this is a two-year-old (almost) phase rather than signs of impending obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Oh, the balloons are a good example of that (see the previous post). Daisy loves balloons with a frightening intensity. If you hand her a balloon, don't expect her to put it down. She has even napped with one, despite our better judgment (we peeked into the room periodically to check on her, and the string was always clutched tightly in her fist).

I should really be trying to write down some of her most hilarious utterances before they slide into the obscurity of fuzzy memory. I would have to say "The devil is so lovable" and "I can't find my lover!" are in the top ten... but I think I've reported those already and surely there are some others waiting in the wings. I'll try to remember some today and report back.

Daisy had a physical milestone the other day: I had her at the playground and was hovering around her, trying to help her up this domed-ladder thing, when I suddenly realized she could climb it all by herself and didn't need my help. I was impressed, as this was kind of a tough feat for Daisy. She is showing a strong interest in climbing these days, and tries to climb pretty much any tree she sees. Usually this amounts to little more than hugging and gently kicking at the tree, but I can see where this is going. I was very into climbing trees and rocks when I was a kid, and I remember swinging upside down from tree branches in my yard... I guess my parents weren't too worried about me breaking my neck! I'll probably freak out if Daisy does that.

Well, that's all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home