Saturday, November 15, 2008

High and low

High: I can say definitely now that Daisy knows her ABCs. She's been singing the song for some time now, but that didn't mean she could identify all the letters accurately. She's been able to get most of them right for awhile now, but for the last few weeks she's been getting all the letters, all the time. We just went through the alphabet with a book she has and she got them all quickly, too. So, yay!

Low: MITTEN PUT-ON-AGE. Oh my God. Daisy is so verbal, really she is, it's amazing. But with the motor skills... not so much. She has been asking for a pair of mittens for months, ever since she saw her friend Elise's. So I bought her a pair. But Daisy cannot get the skill of sticking her thumb into the thumb hole and it has led to some near nervous breakdowns between us, with me desperately trying to get her thumb to follow the right track through the mitten, and her not helping, or sticking her index finger into the thumbhole and declaring, "There!" only to say a few minutes later, "Help, Mommy! It's not on right!" This is driving me INSANE. I never knew mittens could be a source of so much frustration. And I thought mittens were the EASY option, as opposed to gloves. Just now, I was letting her watch Teletubbies so that I could pack for my birthday weekend with Mark, and she asked me to put on her mittens while she was watching. The ensuing exchange went something like this:

Me: Please, Daisy, just try to help. Watch what I'm doing. Wiggle your thumb. Okay? There it is. Now push it through that hole. Push it! PUSH IT!!

Daisy: Mommy, the mittens are watching Teletubbies!

Me: Pleeeeease, Daisy. I can't do this by myself. You have to participate. See this hole? See it? Now please push your thumb through! Not that finger--the thumb!

Daisy: The mittens are watching! The mittens are watching!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My next response would be, "Here Daddy, help Daisy put on the mittens. Don't worry, it is easy and quick." And then act perplexed that he has a hard time. Of course if you already told Mark about the mitten issue, this might not work. :-)

Feeling for you,
Melissa

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Btw, I just wanted to let you know that I work with 4 years who don't know their letters and can't put mittens on--so Daisy is definitely ahead of the game that way...

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home