Friday, December 11, 2009

I haven't been good about updates

Ever since Daisy started preschool and I started my MFT program, I have been terrible about updating this blog. Soooo... some updates, in no particular order:

1. Daisy will be three and a half next month, on January 20.

2. Daisy is night-time potty trained! We tried it a few months back and it ended up being too soon, but I decided to try again a few days ago and we've had success so far. I had noticed her pullup was usually dry in the mornings, as well as after a nap, and so: I think we're finished with pullups. This is a huge milestone!

3. On Dec. 18, Daisy will have completed her first semester of preschool. She has adjusted well, loves her teachers, and has some new friends. The teachers are working hard on her fine motor skills, and we need to be working on them at home, too. It is hard when your life is so crazily busy, but we'll see what we can come up with over winter break. At our last conference, the teachers told us she continues to spend a lot of time in the library (we call it the book nook) but that she has been branching out and doing more and more other kinds of "work," as they call it in Montessori, especially in the sensory-motor area but also in painting. Next Friday is the school's winter celebration, where the kids are going to have a singalong and Mark is going to accompany them for at least some of it on the guitar. Should be fun!

4. Daisy is old enough now to play a bunch of games, which I think is very fun. She plays Candyland, The Cat in the Hat game, Zimbbos, and Animal Bingo.

5. Daisy is very excited about Christmas this year and spent a long time helping me decorate our tree. Hey, it just occurred to me that that is a pretty good fine motor skill: being able to open each little loop on the ornaments and fit them around tree branches. She did a great job, too.

6. We had a playdate this afternoon at our house with Eli and Vincent, and Daisy shared her toys flawlessly. I really think this is worth reporting, because awhile back we were having a rocky period with sharing. This time there were no problems. I am proud of Daisy!

7. I finished my first semester as an MFT student. I guess I'll report again when I find out how I did... final grades are not due till the beginning of January. I feel so good being on break. I missed Daisy terribly. That has been a tough part of this whole adventure; it feels like I go days and hardly see her. I think the time apart is hard on her, as well as on me. I can't help feeling she is more cheerful and stable when I am around more. It doesn't feel good to be apart from her so much, but after all, I am doing this program (and hopefully, this career) to help our family out. So I will try to keep chugging along.

8. We are taking Daisy to _The Nutcracker_ ballet on Thursday... we'll see how it goes! She's been to performances before, but this is by the far the longest one we will have tried, and she won't be able to nap because it's a 2:00 matinee. I'll probably report back on how it went. Yesterday we got our Christmas tree and I bought her an antique nutcracker all her own.

9. Daisy had viral pneumonia in November and was sick for weeks--something like five weeks. It was horrible--really scary. She had to be on two different inhalers throughout the day. As soon as she started getting better, she caught another cold immediately and still has it now. I feel like I can't remember having a child without a hacking cough at this point... really, she's been coughing for two months. This poor kid. She's gotta get better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home