Friday, December 18, 2009

Winter Celebration


Daisy's preschool had their winter celebration today, which began with a singalong upstairs in the church (the school itself is downstairs). The kids were taught songs in many different languages, reflecting the backgrounds of their teachers: English, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Japanese, Hebrew. Mark accompanied them on guitar for the first song, "All the Colors of Winter." I will post some video when I get a chance, though I warn you the quality is not great. I had to shove my camera between two people's heads and the focus wasn't too good.

Now, the kids had rehearsed for the singalong on Thursday, and I got to watch because Mark rehearsed with them. Daisy's lips did not move ONE SINGLE TIME during the whole rehearsal. Not once, and she had a glazed look in her eye the entire time. I spoke to her about it in the evening, and she swore to me that she was, indeed, going to sing at the actual "celebation." I have to say I didn't believe her, in part because the look on her face during rehearsal made me think she didn't know the words. So, imagine my surprise this morning when Daisy sang the songs! Most of them, anyway. And I could actually hear her little voice a good portion of the time, too! I was such a proud, puffed-up mama. Most of the three-year-olds were not singing; the bulk of the singing was being done by the four- and five-year-olds, with some help from the teacher. But my girl sang!

Then my puffed-up pride was brought down to earth when Gommy pointed out that Daisy was the only child in the entire group who was holding her bell by the bell, rather than the string, so that when the kids were called upon to ring out their bells at certain moments in some of the songs... well, you can imagine how muffled the sound would be if you were holding the bell, rather than the attached string.

There was a lovely brunch afterward and Daisy took great delight in handing out her little gifts to her teachers and giving them a holiday hug. It was all very heartwarming.

The brunch following the singalong

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home