Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Seasonal adventures

I have been terrible about remembering to bring my camera thus far into the holiday season. But I will still recount some of our holiday adventures for posterity.

--We bought a tree and Daisy decorated it. We also hung up our Chanukah lights and are going to have a menorah, finally, so next year we will be able to light a candle for each of the 8 days. Daisy is excited about both holidays. Today a mom from her class gave a presentation on Chanukah to all the kids and showed them how to play the dreidl game! And my mom is going to cook us a Chanukah feast on Thursday night.

--We have decorated cookies and baked a Christmas tree cake together.

--We visited the miniature Christmas village at the Hyatt downtown and watched the ice skaters at the Embarcadero, which completely delighted Daisy last year and was equally pleasing this year. She wants to try ice skating... maybe next year??

--Yesterday evening I took Daisy downtown for a friend's reading at Book Passage at the Ferry Building (he was reading a chapter from his new novel), and then we had dinner at the great Mexican place across from Book Passage in the Ferry Building. Then we visited the ice skaters again before heading home on MUNI. Daisy LOOOOVES taking the bus. I had so much fun being on a nighttime downtown adventure with my girl--running around admiring the lit-up Bay Bridge and all the skyscrapers.

--Today after school Daisy and Henry had a fabulous day at the Discovery Museum, and then after Daisy's nap Mark and I took her to the Christmas Fantasy Merry-go-round at Tilden Park. This is one of Daisy's favorite things to do every year. The Tilden Park carousel is all decorated for Christmas and they sell hot chocolate, popcorn, and other cozy things. There is a Santa and friendly Christmas elf there, too. Last year she blew on Daisy's cold hands to warm them up and Daisy talked about it all year--so this year, she did the same thing. It totally cracked Daisy up. Daisy waited patiently in line for almost an hour, I would say, to sit on Santa's lap. She made two modest requests for Christmas: a Bert toy to be a companion to her Ernie, and new Colorforms. She is very earnest and set on these two things. When I have told her I'm considering getting her something else, she gets upset because she thinks it might jeopardize her chances of getting the Bert and the Colorforms. For some reason, she can't absorb the idea of getting more than two presents. Hmmmmm. I'd probably be a fool to try to change that.

--On Thursday we are taking Daisy to The Nutcracker. I know it's a long experience for a 3-year-old, but I'm hoping it goes well. Daisy knows the music and the story very, very well, so it shouldn't seem long and shapeless to her. But, we'll see. It's going to be a little tricky since we're taking her to the matinee (meaning no nap for her that day).

--Friday is Daisy's last day of school before the break and there is an event called the winter celebration, at which the kids are going to sing and Mark is going to accompany them for at least part of it on the guitar!

I am feeling so happy that my own semester (my first as a Counseling Psychology student) is over and I get to spend more time with Daisy. I think she is enjoying it, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home