Monday, February 08, 2010

I almost forgot...

...one of Daisy's preschool teachers told Mark today that she is really advanced at math! This thrills me. I knew she was highly verbal, the way I have always been, but math was not a strong point for me. (I got better at it over the years, but it took a long time and was often a stressful area for me at school.) So I am delighted that Daisy is showing early signs of being mathematical.

I just wrote a sort of lengthy post, but I thought I'd add some little Daisy factoids that will allow me to remember her quirky self at this age.

--Daisy continues to like tank tops better than any other clothing, and she explains that it saves you having to roll up your sleeves when you wash your hands
--Daisy does not like HOLES. Okay, that sounds funny, but I'm serious. She doesn't like blankets with holes--just quilts. And if she finds holes in food, she doesn't want to eat it.
--Daisy has an absolutely amazing MEMORY. In this, I suspect she's going to be like her dad. The other day she told me in a perfectly casual way what kind of frozen yogurt everybody had on a particular day over the Christmas holiday: she, Daisy, had vanilla, Hannie had chocolate, Rachel and Gommy had vanilla and chocolate swirl, and Mama had chocolate with M and Ms on top. Uhhhh... how does she remember this? She was right, too--which I guess means I remember it also, but only upon hearing someone else rattle it off.
--Daisy prefers vanilla to chocolate.
--Daisy likes to be cold. This is kind of weird, and I hope it doesn't turn out to be some big signifier of a disorder when I go to her OT appointment. She always asks me to turn on the cold air in the car, regardless of what the temperature is outside, and she particularly wants to be cold when she's trying to sleep. Uhhh... weird.
--Daisy is fascinated by the VILLAINS in books and songs. I had noticed this about her before; she would closely question me about the feelings of Grand-duke Wilfred (a naughty little boy in Bartholomew Cubbins and the 500 Hats), the Wicked Witch of the West, and Lord Licorice, the villain of the game Candyland. She will often tell us she wants to converse with Lord Licorice, or Grand-duke Wilfred, and she confides in them about her own naughtiness. Her latest interest: the song "Bad Boy" by the Beatles (the one that repeats, "Now Junior, behave yourself"). She made me play it about fifteen times in a row in the car the other day, and each time she closely questioned me about the meaning of the lyrics. What did it mean that he was a bad little kid? Why did he put "twigs" (haha) on teacher's chair? It was cute. But I think it's a serious thing for her. She is trying to figure out what it means to have naughty feelings and impulses. I suppose books often make it seem like these characters are bad guys, whereas of course, we all have naughty feelings and make mistakes... so I am trying to show her that it is okay to have those kinds of feelings and it doesn't relegate you to the status of a villain in a story. But that's a complicated message to get across to a 3-year-old. One time she said something sort of rude to me and then paused and asked, "Does this mean I have rotten insides?" This was an idea from a book, but I think it genuinely connected with her.

Okay, guess that's it for now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "rotten insides" book is a good one because Randolph, the naughty beaver, is forgiven by his best friend, Ivy, the Canada goose, and it's made clear that Randolph is mostly very, very nice. The phrase "rotten insides" bothers me, I thought it was overboard. But after the mean things Randolph does, everything comes to a happy conclusion. M.B.

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you and Mark live in the hottest apartment I've come across outside of a rest home. And you sleep under mounds of blankets. That's fine. You guys like it hot. But that might be why Daisy seeks cooling.

Gompy

9:26 AM  
Blogger Sarah Goss said...

Uhh... wow, Gompy. Not so. Not so at all. I don't enjoy being hot in the least. Our apt has steam heaters, which are notorious for making things hot. If you have them on, they have to be on all the way-- there are no degrees on "on" with steam radiators. So then it gets hot and you have to use the windows to cool down. Conversely, if you have them off, the apt can get very cold (which it also does, believe me). Mark and I struggle to get the temperature right, as does anyone with this kind of heater.

Daisy is not trying to get cold in a hot apartment. She was FREEZING that night I spent with her. She was curling up into the fetal position to conserve body heat and she was also spooning against me to try to stay warm, but she would not use a blanket--particularly one with HOOOOLES in it (see my most recent post!). So, it's something kind of odd going on.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home